IGNORED

What's your game plan for SZ rifle opener?

mowin

This will be my 50th firearm big game season. Not like the old days hunting  with friends and family. Now it is just me. I will hunt much closer to camp than I once did and now hunt from the ground only. The last few openers have been very slow for me and I expect this year will be similar. I would be very satisfied filling my doe tag with a small doe. Good luck to everybody.

On the opener I tend to sit in a box blind set on the inside corner of a field. The block of woods NW of me are mine and so is the block SE of me, along with the field itself. SW is a neighbor that I have a good rapport with. I spoke to that neighbor a few days ago. Apparently there will be 15 people in the woods on the opener between him and another adjoining neighbor. That's a lot of people in a not huge area. I'm going to wear lots of orange and try to stay off the ground, that's for sure. I'm the only one in my blocks of woods, so am hoping that the deer are pushed to me by everyone else if i get there early enough. Planning to be in stand by 6.

This year will be my 3rd year hunting with @Swamp_bucks and his crew. Will be in same area as 2 prior opening days. Finally drew a dmp for that area so instead of watching all the deer I get to possibly shoot. Enjoyed every year prior sure it'll be the same this year. From the chili dinner to the visiting with friends and hunting @Swamp_bucks is a great host.

1 minute ago, Redneck4Life said:

This year will be my 3rd year hunting with @Swamp_bucks and his crew. Will be in same area as 2 prior opening days. Finally drew a dmp for that area so instead of watching all the deer I get to possibly shoot. Enjoyed every year prior sure it'll be the same this year. From the chili dinner to the visiting with friends and hunting @Swamp_bucks is a great host.

Looking forward to it again.  Hopefully we can get a tag on one this year for you. 

4 hours ago, Bolt Action said:

On the opener I tend to sit in a box blind set on the inside corner of a field. The block of woods NW of me are mine and so is the block SE of me, along with the field itself. SW is a neighbor that I have a good rapport with. I spoke to that neighbor a few days ago. Apparently there will be 15 people in the woods on the opener between him and another adjoining neighbor. That's a lot of people in a not huge area. I'm going to wear lots of orange and try to stay off the ground, that's for sure. I'm the only one in my blocks of woods, so am hoping that the deer are pushed to me by everyone else if i get there early enough. Planning to be in stand by 6.

When i hunted on my cousins property , the guys from the 5 other camps around ours would come over and chew the fat . I would sit back and listen to where they were going to sit on the opener and use that and the wind direction in my favor .. 

25 minutes ago, Fab said:

I wana get a buck at some point in my life using my grand dads old 1940s savage bolt 3030 on my own dirt.   Maybe it will happen this year.  If not I like thinking about it.  Lol. 

5 years a go , I shot a deer with my granddad's 300 savage . Its one of my top deer hunting memories 

No rain in the forecast where I am, and temps above freezing.  I’ll bring along my tree umbrella, just in case.  The warmer temperature means that I’ll be hunting with my Marlin bolt action and not my Ithaca pump.   

That rifled slug gun will give me longer range and pinpoint accuracy, compared to my smoothbore pump, but it’s not reliable in freezing conditions.  

Unfortunately, I’ve had to expand my “hit-list” a little on Saturday to include this 4-point, that I got a high-back hit on with my crossbow, on this week Sunday.  I usually hold out for one with at least 3 points on a side with my gun before Thanksgiving.  
134C4753-233A-44B1-8DAC-82DF022BCBBB.jpeg.cf45372a2c90a5a06268d65b23e3567a.jpeg

I’ll be making an exception for that 4-point that I wounded, just for “closure” if I get a chance.  He will still have some good grind on him, but I’ll definitely loose a little backstrap.