IGNORED

So did crossbows change anything?

Phantom

58 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

No ,just the guys who told the doctors their shoulders are unusable. 

My Dr. told me, "I don't know how you've shot a compound bow for the last five years".

Jeremy, I hope you never sustain an injury. Or have your body break down with age. But if it happens, I will lend you a crossbow. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Alot of people all of the sudden suffered from incurable shoulder injuries, that much I know.

So after bow hunting with a vertical bow for 25+ years , i did indeed start having shoulder problems right before the season. Decided to baby it for the first few weeks but it wasn't getting better . Went to see the ortho and the xray showed i have two spots of arthritis with build up rubbing on the ball in the socket .

Im glad we have the crossbow option for the last 2 weeks or my archery season would have been a wash. Shoulders getting better but not  100% yet , I'm hoping by first of the year ill be back to my compound. If i have to ill have them go in a do micro surgery to clean it out cause i love archery and shooting a crossbow is not the same . Ill be 53 in December and knew the day was coming but didn't think it was a going to be this soon . As the old saying goes  Never say Never . 

Edited by Rob-c

My personal observations are that the 2-week sz crossbow season, that started in 2014, has not had any effect whatsoever on deer activities or sightings.  It does seem that the early September gun season has had some however.   It has significantly reduced deer daylight activities in the 2 area that I hunt (in wmu 9F).  

There just seems to be something about that combination of a loud noise, that can be heard for miles, and the sudden disappearance of some (except for the gut piles) that seems to limit the willingness of the survivors to move much during daylight hours.  

We really need to thank the NYBH organization for that.  Had they not lobbied to prevent full inclusion of the crossbow, odds are that more effective weapon would have helped keep the deer populations in check in those “out of control DMU’s”, eliminating the need for the more  “drastic” method (guns in September).  

Edited by Wolc123

5 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Last time I checked I didn't see nothing specific to crossbows  just archery in general maybe it's there I just couldn't find it I don't know.

They wouldn't know.  There is no crossbow option on the harvest tag.  They are lumped together. 

Edited by mowin

1 hour ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

CT, PA, Ohio all full inclusion. I believe 30 states in total. Doesn't bother me as long as it's legal. I used a crossbow up until 2019 and only compound since.

Add New Jersey. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I've said before ,use them all you want ,but they belong in gun season.

That seems very odd to me because they are clearly a form of archery. Either they get included with the three vertical bows or just outright ban them. But adding them to a gun season makes zero sense. They are not a gun. It’s still a stick of sorts and a string and a bolt with a broadhead designed to cut on contact. Very different than how a bullet kills. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

1 minute ago, mowin said:

They wouldn't know.  There is no crossbow option on the harvest tag.  They are lumped together. 

I didn't even think about that. You would think they would want to know what effect, if any, introducing something new to a season has on the season. It's strange that they don't take any statistics on it.