IGNORED

What are you shooting this rifle season?

mowin

Ill be taking the Marlin 30-30 with some hand loaded  150 grain Speer  hot core’s over some reloader-15. With a new Vortex 2by7 on top , that I'm liking a lot  .

Also in rotation will be my grandads  300 savage with 3by9 Burris  , hand loads  over reloader-15 with  Speer 165 grain hot cores.
And last but not least my favorite my Super Red Hawk  44 mag  topped with a utradot red dot over 2400 with some Speer 270 grain deep curls . Love that revolver.. 

Edited by Rob-c

15 minutes ago, Wolc123 said:

I’m in a shotgun zone so no rifles for me.  At least not until later on Thanksgiving weekend whee I head up to the northern zone.  

It looks like the temperature is going to stay above freezing on Saturday, so my Marlin 512 is going to get the call.  It’s froze up on me and failed to fire two times when it was real cold out, but has never given me any trouble when it’s warmer.  
EB1AC6EB-5B2E-4056-AEDF-D1D2B20F9AA5.thumb.jpeg.187b7d72997e4157ec65b3074c28f38d.jpegIt shoots 2-3/4” 12 ga Hornady SST’s pretty good and had an effective range of about 175 yards.  That’s a hundred more than I can get out of the smoothbore Ithaca model 37 16 gauge, that I use on colder days.  

Take that bolt assembly apart. Clean thoroughly. Spray it all with Tri Flow, and reassemble. It will never freeze up on you again.

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have that same rifle. What a difference that trigger spring made!!! Great shooting gun. Lights out on deer too.

Best of luck to ya out there Jay.

Treeguy switched it out for me. I’ve only shot a doe with it at 130 yards and big 8 at Gman’s at 35 yards Neither went very far.  Leupold v3 2.5 x8 

29 minutes ago, grampy said:

Take that bolt assembly apart. Clean thoroughly. Spray it all with Tri Flow, and reassemble. It will never freeze up on you again.

I did not take it apart and clean it, but it has been good since I dropped a little CLP on the pin.  I have avoided using it on real cold days though.  That gives me a good excuse to drag out grandpas old Ithaca.  

It’s never cost me a buck , but the freeze ups definitely saved the life of two does on my grandpas old farm.  Maybe those were the mothers / grandmothers of some of the nice bucks that I’ve taken over there in recent years.  

I think the bolt assembly is identical to that on the Marlin bolt action “goose gun”.  There is a pretty good YouTube video on disassembly of that, should I ever decide to attempt it.  I certainly will if it ever costs me a buck.  

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

I can't believe the difference it made.  Rifle stayed in the safe because of the horrific trigger. 

Now it's 2.5 lbs and crisp.  

Best $20 improvement you can make on an Axis. Can be easily done in minutes. My Axis went fron 7.5lbs to just a touch under 3lbs trigger pull. Made a huge difference shooting that gun. Axis is light, accurate (after replacing the trigger spring) and affordable. Can, and does, out shoot custom guns from years ago.

Edited by grampy

I usually use my Remington 660 in .308. But I am still doing some inletting after a Timney trigger installation. At the moment it slam fires, so I can’t have that out in the woods.

So instead I will be toting the 1962 Parker Hale Safari Deluxe that I inherited when my wife’s grandfather died. I just put a Leupold Vx-freedom on it and it is driving tacks.