IGNORED

What are you shooting this rifle season?

mowin

5 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I usually use my Remington 660 in .308. But I am still doing some inletting after a Timney trigger installation. At the moment it slam fires, so I can’t have that out in the woods.

So instead I will be toting the 1962 Parker Hale Safari Deluxe that I inherited when my wife’s grandfather died. I just put a Leupold Vx-freedom on it and it is driving tacks. 

Cool, a PH Safari.   What chambering?

Points for pics!

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Cool, a PH Safari.   What chambering?

Points for pics!

Here is an awful picture. Hopefully I'll have one of me holding it next to a nice buck tomorrow afternoon. 

It's a 1962 chambered in .30-06.

My wife's grandfather was a passionate outdoorsman who had eight daughters and no sons. None of his daughters picked up hunting, and they all married men who don't hunt. Then they had children who don't hunt. 

So when I started showing up at family functions he finally had someone to tell a lifetime of hunting and fishing stories to. When he passed and his daughters started divvying up and selling off his hunting gear, I was able to pluck this and an older Savage side by side. This will be the first year I take it out, and I'm hoping I can tag one for Bernie.

PXL_20231117_113053131.jpg

Vermont rifle season started last Saturday, but I have no buck tag.  When I do rifle hunt I carry a Browning A-bolt synthetic stalker chambered in 7 Rem Mag. I have killed all but one of my rifle deer with it.

Next year I want to update the scope and mounts on my grandfather's Savage model 99 and carry that.  That rifle is a .250-3000 and has had trigger work done.  I'd like to carry it on dry days and kill a good buck with it in the hardwoods behind the house he built on the family farm. 

23 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Here is an awful picture. Hopefully I'll have one of me holding it next to a nice buck tomorrow afternoon. 

It's a 1962 chambered in .30-06.

My wife's grandfather was a passionate outdoorsman who had eight daughters and no sons. None of his daughters picked up hunting, and they all married men who don't hunt. Then they had children who don't hunt. 

So when I started showing up at family functions he finally had someone to tell a lifetime of hunting and fishing stories to. When he passed and his daughters started divvying up and selling off his hunting gear, I was able to pluck this and an older Savage side by side. This will be the first year I take it out, and I'm hoping I can tag one for Bernie.

PXL_20231117_113053131.jpg

Ill be taking my Remington 870 Express 12 ga to the swamps tomorrow morning... Ill be in Niagara county.  I took the scope off of it and will use the iron sights.  I need to replace that scope as it has very little eye relief and im sick and tired of getting scoped and bleeing all over the woods.  Killed a lot of deer with that gun before I put a secondhand scope on it... If I recall correctly, I bought that gun in 1985 at Dicks Sporting Goods on Union rd in Cheektowaga.  That store is looong gone I believe

We might go to 9H on Sunday... If so, Ill take my Savage 308

Wish you the best of luck tomorrow  @Caveman

5 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Ill be taking my Remington 870 Express 12 ga to the swamps tomorrow morning... Ill be in Niagara county.  I took the scope off of it and will use the iron sights.  I need to replace that scope as it has very little eye relief and im sick and tired of getting scoped and bleeing all over the woods.  Killed a lot of deer with that gun before I put a secondhand scope on it... If I recall correctly, I bought that gun in 1985 at Dicks Sporting Goods on Union rd in Cheektowaga.  That store is looong gone I believe

We might go to 9H on Sunday... If so, Ill take my Savage 308

Wish you the best of luck tomorrow  @Caveman

Good luck out there @Arcade Hunter. I have doe tags for 8G and 9H, so leave some deer for me. If I tag a buck in 9T on Saturday I may see you out there Sunday.

Edited by Caveman

6 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Good luck out there @Arcade Hunter. I have doe tags for 8G and 9H, so leave some deer for me. If I tag a buck in 9T on Saturday I may see you out there Sunday.

Ill definatly leave a bunch of deer there for ya!  Ill let you know if the plan for 9H is a go... Maybe meet up and say hello.  That would be awesome

I'll have 3 in rotation this season.  My tried and true savage axis in .308 with the accutrigger and weaver scope; the howa  in 6.5 cr with the nikon scope; and the .350 legend msr that I built topped with a firefield lpvo. I'll also have the traditions ultra light topped with the Bushnell banner 2 out during mz season.