IGNORED

After opening day it only gets harder

Phantom

For me personally OD is fun but i can’t recall the last time i shot a buck on one, although i realize many do . At noon today a slammer was walking towards me at 60 yards till he caught on froze behind a tree and ran .

it’s big AG fields here I saw a total of one hunter the last three days on a neighboring farm . So pressure is not like some areas .

Edited by Nomad

Depends on area and pressure 

We had our camp since 83.  We only have taken one buck after the 3D day    dad started hunting in 59.   He got one once on the first Saturday     Prior to that one on the 3D day and 2 on the second day.  All the rest we takin on the opener  

It’s possible but very difficult in alot of places 

I'm in Vermont, so our rifle season is only 16 days.  I have shot almost half of my bucks on opening day.  After that there doesn't seem to be a pattern. 

One thing I do know is that nearly all the really big bucks I have seen or gotten pictures of are on Thanksgiving or after.  I attribute this to less hunter pressure and bucks travelling long distance in search of the last hot does.

22 hours ago, Fab said:

Depends on area and pressure 

We had our camp since 83.  We only have taken one buck after the 3D day    dad started hunting in 59.   He got one once on the first Saturday     Prior to that one on the 3D day and 2 on the second day.  All the rest we takin on the opener  

It’s possible but very difficult in alot of places 

Interesting what zone ?