IGNORED

Grinder thoughts?

NYRturkeycall

all metal gears. Almost 10 seasons and 30+ deer and hasn't missed a beat. Can shove stuff too big that no grinder has business grinding and it does the trick for a lot less than cabelas and hunter marketed stuff. 

Remember when it comes to meat processing, the buck on bag stuff has the same markup everything else marketed to hunters does and it's no different than soaps and seeds. There are deals out there to be had. That said, I love LEM stuff and wesson is decent too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KJBR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

2 hours ago, Belo said:

all metal gears. Almost 10 seasons and 30+ deer and hasn't missed a beat. Can shove stuff too big that no grinder has business grinding and it does the trick for a lot less than cabelas and hunter marketed stuff. 

Remember when it comes to meat processing, the buck on bag stuff has the same markup everything else marketed to hunters does and it's no different than soaps and seeds. There are deals out there to be had. That said, I love LEM stuff and wesson is decent too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KJBR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i agree with the badging and "hunter tax". it's tough ordering something like this online. i was in a pile of different stores basically taking apart the neck auger assembly of the displays to check out the fit of everything. i was used to a Hobart (actually commercial grade) and was severely disappointed with several brands. i ended up with the Cabelas Carnivore 3/4HP #12 neck but the thing is I can't speak to a brand new one because it wouldn't even be the same grinder. only paper specs would be the same. i used Cabelas cash too so it was a good purchase. think i could run a whole deer shank through it, but the motor and drive system shouldn't be what holds you back vs the capacity of the neck and hopper. the small motor plastic cheaper grinders is a different story.

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

i agree with the badging and "hunter tax". it's tough ordering something like this online. i was in a pile of different stores basically taking apart the neck auger assembly of the displays to check out the fit of everything. i was used to a Hobart (actually commercial grade) and was severely disappointed with several brands. i ended up with the Cabelas Carnivore 3/4HP #12 neck but the thing is I can't speak to a brand new one because it wouldn't even be the same grinder. only paper specs would be the same. i used Cabelas cash too so it was a good purchase. think i could run a whole deer shank through it, but the motor and drive system shouldn't be what holds you back vs the capacity of the neck and hopper. the small motor plastic cheaper grinders is a different story.

Nothing like the Hobart/Globe commercial grinder. I've got two #22 head grinders. Can't feed these things fast enough. But your not moving them around easily. I picked up a Gander Mt #12 head grinder 1/2 off when they were closing down for around the house. 

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

Nothing like the Hobart/Globe commercial grinder. I've got two #22 head grinders. Can't feed these things fast enough. But your not moving them around easily. I picked up a Gander Mt #12 head grinder 1/2 off when they were closing down for around the house. 

when i lived out in Buffalo I looked at whatever they had at Gander Mt at the time. Hobart's are just built. Heat dissipates elsewhere not into the neck where the meat is. big hopper and neck. I actually think it's a smaller model but the motor case alone is like 100lbs which is the reason went shopping for something easier to move around. it's old and would cost a lot to repair by a Hobart tech if something went wrong. no issues and it's older than 40 years old.

On 12/13/2023 at 10:12 PM, NYRturkeycall said:

Saw this and my wife already uses her mixer alot so figure it might work for light work for sausages and chop meat without taking more space somewhere.

Any thoughts?

https://a.co/d/i5SdGZQ

Thanks!

It will work for small batches. I used mine until the wife came home one day and said "I smell something electrical burning. It was the mixer and I was only doing 25 lbs of sausage. I always made sure to cut small pieces with it to. That was the day I went out and bought a LEM. Worth every penny if you make your own sausage and ground meat. You just have to pick the horse power you would need for the amount of meat you are grinding.

3 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

when i lived out in Buffalo I looked at whatever they had at Gander Mt at the time. Hobart's are just built. Heat dissipates elsewhere not into the neck where the meat is. big hopper and neck. I actually think it's a smaller model but the motor case alone is like 100lbs which is the reason went shopping for something easier to move around. it's old and would cost a lot to repair by a Hobart tech if something went wrong. no issues and it's older than 40 years old.

My Hobarts weigh a ton.  One has to be from the 60's or older, the other late 80's.  Heads, augers, plates and knives are all interchangeable. 

Dad had a old globe/Stimpson #12 that was probably from the 40's.  We ground 1000's of lbs through that thing over the yrs. Sold that to a good friend of mine 20 yrs ago, and he uses it for a few deer, couple pigs, and a beefer every year, and it's still going strong. 

I picked up a cabellas 1/2  hp grinder  out of the bargin cave  years ago for 80 bucks.   I would hate to ruin  a more expensive machine.  The dedicated grinder has 0 issues and has been let to many friends.  It's attachments for sausage stuffing and  meat sticks  that came with it are worth it as well ( all for  80 bucks) 

I seè grinders in the cave often . Personally I'd  just  look there and snag one  when  they show up. Vs wrecking and expensive machine the wife would probably kill me  over...

19 minutes ago, G-man said:

I picked up a cabellas 1/2  hp grinder  out of the bargin cave  years ago for 80 bucks.   I would hate to ruin  a more expensive machine.  The dedicated grinder has 0 issues and has been let to many friends.  It's attachments for sausage stuffing and  meat sticks  that came with it are worth it as well ( all for  80 bucks) 

I seè grinders in the cave often . Personally I'd  just  look there and snag one  when  they show up. Vs wrecking and expensive machine the wife would probably kill me  over...

There is no cave anymore in the Buffalo store. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

Kitchen Aid is adequate if you’re doing small batches at a time or you’re on the fence as to whether you’re gonna do this again. That being said I bought a #8 Cabelas about 15 years ago and haven’t  had an issue, I also utilize it to power a 30 lb Meat Mixer.  I should have went with the #12 but not knowing how much I would be actually doing I stood on the conservative side. I do 25 Lbs of summer sausage at a time . Next one is 3/4 Hp #12,  Meat your Maker is another new brand but have heard good things . Can’t go wrong with LEM 

On 12/15/2023 at 1:14 PM, mowin said:

had a hobart slicer. thing weighed 100 pounds easily but that's what commercial grade was back in the day

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

• 2 weeks later...

So the Mrs. ended up getting me the metal kitchen aid grinder attachment for Christmas.  Since I have never ground my own deer meat before, was wondering what other meat(s) you guys mixed with, if anything, and if not what kind of fat do you use? Also looking forward to hijacking the dehydrator I bought her for jerky ;)

Thanks!

Palma non sine pulvere 

20 minutes ago, NYRturkeycall said:

So the Mrs. ended up getting me the metal kitchen aid grinder attachment for Christmas.  Since I have never ground my own deer meat before, was wondering what other meat(s) you guys mixed with, if anything, and if not what kind of fat do you use? Also looking forward to hijacking the dehydrator I bought her for jerky ;)

Thanks!

Everyone is different, and it depends on what your making, burger or sausage. Burger, Some mix beef fat,  Me I add nothing to my venison burger. I want my venison burger to taste like venison, not beef. Never in 40 + yrs, have I had issues with patties crumbling or falling apart, even on a big grill. 

Sausage, different story.  I do a 60/40 venison to pork.  I make breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. 

Only do small batches with that kitchen aid.  Partially freeze before grinding.