IGNORED

Dying and Waxing Pot Sizes

HeavyUser

Not sure where you live but I recommend attending the following event if not too far for you.  I attend every year and always pick up some helpful tips.  There will be a fur buyer there too who can also make gloves, hats, etc with your fur if you would like.  I’ll be bring some fur along including a nice coyote I caught yesterday.

Good luck with your trap line !

(Check out the question and answer video my buddy made/posted earlier if you haven’t already…some helpful info there for you).

IMG_6774.png

51 minutes ago, Dinorocks said:

Not sure where you live but I recommend attending the following event if not too far for you.  I attend every year and always pick up some helpful tips.  There will be a fur buyer there too who can also make gloves, hats, etc with your fur if you would like.  I’ll be bring some fur along including a nice coyote I caught yesterday.

(Check out the question and answer video my buddy made/posted earlier if you haven’t already…some helpful info there for you).

I wish I lived a bit closer, this looks awesome.

13 minutes ago, HeavyUser said:

How many of you add something to your trap to keep dirt from getting under the pressure plate?

I wasn't going to add anything and just wing it but now I'm questioning myself. 

You will want a pan cover. Plenty of options. Some use polyfil or pipe insulation under the pan. Others use latex or screen or wax paper pan covers. Heck even a big leaf will do in a pinch. If you use wax paper, crumple it up in a ball then flatten back out to reduce crinkle noise.

Edited by Mattypotpie8s

On 12/31/2023 at 9:05 AM, Dinorocks said:

IMG_6774.png

Dino

My buddy was telling me about this event last week after he stopped into Hoots for coyote bait. We plan on taking our boys to check things out....what time you planning on being there?

On 1/1/2024 at 9:49 PM, mlamm24 said:

Dino

My buddy was telling me about this event last week after he stopped into Hoots for coyote bait. We plan on taking our boys to check things out....what time you planning on being there?

I’m not yet sure but probably around 11:00 as I may sell some fur at the end of the event.  Please introduce yourself if you see me!  Ask the lady (Patti) at the ECTA table to point me out if you don’t recognize me.

On 12/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, HeavyUser said:

Perfect, thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. How many lbs of wax do you normally melt at one time in a 20qt pot?

I figure I would dye them, let them sit for a few minutes then wax them. This way they are still hot from the dye. 

Not sure if I will get too serious with it. I just want to be somewhat proficient, so I have the skill in my arsenal. 

this video was pretty quick and to the point without being 20 minutes long and listen to some guy ramble. I'm sure like anything there are a thousand ways to do this, but I got the gist of it here. 

I'm also buying no BS so I can skip this step for a season at least. Will probably still wax them.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Just now, Belo said:

this video was pretty quick and to the point without being 20 minutes long and listen to some guy ramble. I'm sure like anything there are a thousand ways to do this, but I got the gist of it here. 

I'm also buying no BS so I can skip this step for a season at least. Will probably still wax them.

Yep, watched him  already :)

Where are you at in the process? I have everything I need, traps are prepped, I just have yet to go out and set them up yet ...

On 12/30/2023 at 7:11 PM, Water Rat said:

I don’t mean to sound critical but you shouldn’t rush the process. It’s better to take your time and sacrifice a few days than to rush it. I can tell you’re itching to get trapping and I hope you’re successful. Did you remember to order trap tags ? I can’t see any in the pictures. By law you need your name and address on each trap. As far as the wax goes , you can reuse it year after year. It’s important to do the wax process correctly. You’ll be able to see the trap go from a black color to a whitish color and then it turns back to a black color. That’s the steel heating up to the same temperature as the wax. I probably have 35 pounds of wax in my pot and add to it when needed. I always use hot tap water from the sink and pour it into the pot I’m going to boil my traps in. It saves time and propane. I’m glad you didn’t burn down your garage. I hope you stick with it because it’s a lot of fun checking traps first thing in the morning. It’s like Christmas morning. Going trapping tomorrow ? 😂 Good luck 👍🏼 

just a small correction. It's either your name and address or your DEC license ID (back tag). When I ordered mine I put my name on it with my ID, but not my address. Seems like asking for trouble even if trapping on your own land. Just my .02 though.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:47 AM, HeavyUser said:

Yep, watched him  already :)

Where are you at in the process? I have everything I need, traps are prepped, I just have yet to go out and set them up yet ...

buying everything today. There are no good deals out there and most places that sell the kits are out of the no-bs 4 spring junior K9 extreme. I liked the kits because they came with the anchors already installed. Just buying traps means I have to get anchors and j hooks and jhook pliers. Stuff I'll need eventually, but it all kinda adds up. Just deciding whether to go wolf fang or super stake was an adventure. Then the dog proof coon traps I found come with wolf fangs, but I think I like the retrival method of superstakes more, so that means 2 different drivers. ahhh.

Anyhow, I just mailed my stuff in last friday so not even sure how long it takes the DEC to approve, but hoping by the time I get everything back in to try and learn some stuff for a few weeks so that I'm better prepared next year. 

Edited by Belo