IGNORED

Dying and Waxing Pot Sizes

HeavyUser

I won’t be quitting my day job anytime soon!  I didn’t have the heart to sell all my fur (looks like I’ll be doing some tanning in the near future!…including the K9s I caught this morning).  Overall, A very successful event…lots of people, more ECTA memberships and a few kids signed up for trapping camp (let me know if any kids would be interested in the camp and I can send info…my son participated many years ago…they had a framed photo of him on display)!

IMG_6774.png

IMG_6874.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6871.jpeg

IMG_6876.jpeg

On 1/5/2024 at 1:11 PM, NYRuthunter said:

Stop wasting time and get the traps in the ground.do all the prep in the off season .Main thing is bed traps solid and use some form of anti freeze .I use peat with some dry dirt lightly sifted on top and go.

have you tried waxed dirt? If so, what did you like more about peat moss?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

On 1/6/2024 at 1:03 PM, Dinorocks said:

I won’t be quitting my day job anytime soon!  I didn’t have the heart to sell all my fur (looks like I’ll be doing some tanning in the near future!…including the K9s I caught this morning).  Overall, A very successful event…lots of people, more ECTA memberships and a few kids signed up for trapping camp (let me know if any kids would be interested in the camp and I can send info…my son participated many years ago…they had a framed photo of him on display)!

IMG_6877.jpeg

dino assuming those are fleshed prices and not just skinned? $35 for a yote doesn't seem too bad? 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, NYRuthunter said:

Dino ,considering the market ,not bad .im pretty sure the feet on helped a bit .

On 1/6/2024 at 2:08 PM, Dinorocks said:

Agreed….next time I’m leaving the feet on the raccoon!

curious why that would add value? They're a pain right?

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Once you do so many and have your own system down, it goes pretty quick. Leaving the feet on opens up potential for other buyers that are in specific markets to buy them opposed to just a buyer selling to the fur market. There’s a lot of other niche markets out there.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

have you tried waxed dirt? If so, what did you like more about peat moss?

For  me ,wax dirt takes up too much time .Spending more money on wax as well ,plus just the storage or that much dirt isn’t worth it to me .I started with pear and never had a reason to change .It works for me .

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I was only kidding regarding the raccoon feet but like was posted, leaving the feet on adds value for me as I sold the furs to someone who tans them and uses them for hats, etc.  If I was selling to a big auction house, they don’t want the feet as the feet (claws) damage the other fur when it gets tumbled before the auction. 

On 1/5/2024 at 6:23 AM, Dinorocks said:

I’m not yet sure but probably around 11:00 as I may sell some fur at the end of the event.  Please introduce yourself if you see me!  Ask the lady (Patti) at the ECTA table to point me out if you don’t recognize me.

We didn't end up making it.....I work part time for my buddies tree company and we were at the mercy of an available crane for the day......needed to make hay while the sun was shining. 

got my education certificate in the mail yesterday, bought my license today. Also got my custom brass tags in the mail. Now all I need is my giant order of traps and shit haha.

edit, just got the ups notification that it's coming today!

Edited by Belo

29 minutes ago, NYRuthunter said:

I’ll be available to purchase all used traps after February .lol

I have zero expectations, would be happy to even get a trap to go off without catching something. Totally using the tail end of this year to get some basics out of the way and plan to go much harder next season.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have zero expectations, would be happy to even get a trap to go off without catching something. Totally using the tail end of this year to get some basics out of the way and plan to go much harder next season.

Just stake your traps well .Coyotes test equipment.Good luck