IGNORED

Question on town reassessment

riverrat

30 minutes ago, Nomad said:

To Phades points about the FD,there’s  no doubt many volunteer houses and bigger and better then our city ones. That’s due to a few factors , they have to be built to modern NFPA standards, plus it’s very difficult to attract and hold volunteers, one thing they do to counter that is give them a nice building with workout rooms etc. sanitation or decom is a big deal we die of job related cancer, I know several who have . Keeping things clean and away from living quarters is a big deal ,as well as venting diesel fumes out of the buildings . This all comes at a cost .

That’s fine and dandy, this proposal has no reasonability though. $11.5M for a town with out a sewer system. No stoplights. 20% less population than 20 years ago. No EMS - it’s contracted out. 

There is a difference between a nice place and Mar-a-Lago in the middle of countryside WNY. This could have been more reasonable.

Edited by phade

6 minutes ago, virgil said:

Riverrat, i'm in your area and got the same letter.  i'll have to look at it again because i got the opposite impression.  it looks to me like my taxes were lowered- considerably.  I saw that the assessment rate was raised to 100%.  But, the 'market' value was lowered a bit.  My place may be categorized differently than your as i believe mine is considered 'seasonal', or something like that

Are you in the town of Burlington flats? I'm in Edmeston. Maybe why the difference. I don't think the Amish bought so many properties there.

I'm not anti Amish I just know they paid a lot for the properties they bought. Most of it is wood lots. 

1 minute ago, riverrat said:

Are you in the town of Burlington flats? I'm in Edmeston. Maybe why the difference. I don't think the Amish bought so many properties there.

I'm not anti Amish I just know they paid a lot for the properties they bought. Most of it is wood lots. 

I'm in Burlington.

51 minutes ago, phade said:

That’s fine and dandy, this proposal has no reasonability though. $11.5M for a town with out a sewer system. No stoplights. 20% less population than 20 years ago. No EMS - it’s contracted out. 

There is a difference between a nice place and Mar-a-Lago in the middle of countryside WNY. This could have been more reasonable.

I'm also in a town with a population of 3200 and no stop light.

Probably also has some to due with the surge in price during COVID when everyone left "the city" LoL 

this is something i do not understand and that's why a county/township would raise taxes almost double. here in rensselaer county they're doing them and my town was already done. assessments were updated and obviously raised but taxes and projected taxes more or less stay the same. seems like here everyone is saying they're going up in your area of NY. 

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

this is something i do not understand and that's why a county/township would raise taxes almost double. here in rensselaer county they're doing them and my town was already done. assessments were updated and obviously raised but taxes and projected taxes more or less stay the same. seems like here everyone is saying they're going up in your area of NY.

That's what I assumed would be the outcome but my reassessment says otherwise. After further review my school taxes went up 129%.  

I have a zoom meeting with the assessment firm on Monday. Not allot of time to prepare.

26 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

The assessment is double.  The way the town calculates the taxes doesn't mean my taxes went up 59%.  They went up about 8% between property and school.

Several hundred dollars isn't chump change. 

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

The assessment is double.  The way the town calculates the taxes doesn't mean my taxes went up 59%.  They went up about 8% between property and school.

Several hundred dollars isn't chump change. 

i was going off @riverrat stating his are going up 90% when i said double. Assessments and taxes based on assessment are two different things. The letter I got after reassessment basically said it doesn't mean my taxes will go up. they all gave a projected tax amount if the new assessment was used and it showed they didn't. 

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i was going off @riverrat stating his are going up 90% when i said double. Assessments and taxes based on assessment are two different things. The letter I got after reassessment basically said it doesn't mean my taxes will go up. they all gave a projected tax amount if the new assessment was used and it showed they didn't. 

Basically the same here, first yr after 100% reassessment , taxes actually dropped slightly, but have since gone up a few hundred above. 

My point is, I don't think anyone's taxes are going to double, but give it a couple years, and they will go up. 

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

My letter shows what I payed in 2023 and what the projected tax amount will be in 2024.