IGNORED

Question on town reassessment

riverrat

12 minutes ago, ZAG said:

Can’t get outta here fast enough. 2 yrs is gonna feel like forever.

Wife and I were supposed to leave next spring.  She just got a promotion, and now wants to stay 3 yrs as her retirement is based on the top 3 yrs of service. She crunched the numbers and it does make sense to stay, as it will be a decent jump in retirement, but man I don't think I can make it 3 yrs when I was counting on less than one year. 

This is all because of greedy politicians.  Property taxes should not be based on market value.  It should all be based on physical attributes.  Such as, acreage/square footage of property x $A, square footage of dwelling x $B, square footage of shed/garage/barn x $C.  Doing it this way there is no question or need to grieve.  

Basing property taxes on market value is a disincentive for anyone to improve their property, further making NYS undesirable to live.

I would love to see a class action lawsuit against NYS regarding this.  Heck, if NYS can sue and win against DJT for his property evaluations, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander! 

3 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

This is all because of greedy politicians.  Property taxes should not be based on market value.  It should all be based on physical attributes.  Such as, acreage/square footage of property x $A, square footage of dwelling x $B, square footage of shed/garage/barn x $C.  Doing it this way there is no question or need to grieve.  

Basing property taxes on market value is a disincentive for anyone to improve their property, further making NYS undesirable to live.

I would love to see a class action lawsuit against NYS regarding this.  Heck, if NYS can sue and win against DJT for his property evaluations, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander! 

Shouldn’t that 4.5 mil he’s paying reduce all of our taxes a bit ?  

Listening to everybody saying they're going to leave NY gets me worried that we're going to lose all our opposition voices-of-reason, and what's left behind is only going to amplify the craziness. Somebody has to stay and fight the good fight! This state is too beautiful to be destroyed by government policies.

36 minutes ago, Keith Nehrke said:

Listening to everybody saying they're going to leave NY gets me worried that we're going to lose all our opposition voices-of-reason, and what's left behind is only going to amplify the craziness. Somebody has to stay and fight the good fight! This state is too beautiful to be destroyed by government policies.

That’s exactly why I say New York is dead. Us left behind are the equivalent to the 100yd dash after an arrow goes through a deers heart. 

I love this state, I love the fishing, hunting, beauty and the diversity of the land.  I don’t love it enough to give up my rights and my money just to stay here. 

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That’s exactly why I say New York is dead. Us left behind are the equivalent to the 100yd dash after an arrow goes through a deers heart. 

I love this state, I love the fishing, hunting, beauty and the diversity of the land.  I don’t love it enough to give up my rights and my money just to stay here. 

That’s BS, I don’t think it’s dead.  I’ve been to most of the lower 48 and there’s definitely none where I’d rather live.  No other state has scenery better than that in the Adirondacks, and none has better summer weather.  Smallmouth are my favorite fish and nowhere else has remotely close to what we have there.  NY is also a meat deer hunter’s paradise (I could give two craps about the trophy hunting).

I’ll even take fall and winter conditions in NY over that in any other state.  Only March really sucks in NY, so I’m pretty thankful to be on a work assignment in Southern CA right now.   
IMG_4201.thumb.jpeg.c2629e1a9d2966f6cb227acb186bff1d.jpeg

Those high taxes and dysfunctional politics are a very small price to pay for the awesome wonders we have in NY.  Were it not for those, everybody and their brother would want to live here and we’d suffer from the same overcrowding and traffic congestion that plague those “go to” states .

What we are looking at in this thread is the same seasonal, vitamin D deficient doldrums and wining that comes up every spring.  Get some sun folks.  

p.s,

I’m ok with my taxes. Our town assessor is an old friend of mine and one of the most honest guys I’ve ever run into.  Here we are watching the sheep at our Church’s Living Nativity last Christmas:

IMG_3808.thumb.jpeg.f80ff9fe6840648ab81d3472feeef73d.jpegIt rained like heck that evening and I brought along a camping shelter to keep us, the sheep, and the “weary travelers” dry.  I roasted a big old St Lawrence River Northern Pike over our campfire that night and my assessor buddy liked it.  
IMG_3029.thumb.jpeg.b843fd2c0697dd78d4d1fdf2482defa5.jpegNormally, I let those go because I don’t like dealing with the y-bones.  I butchered this one because it swallowed my last 1/4 oz bucktail jig and I wanted it back.  The y-bones were big enough to pick out pretty easy, but the farmer who hosted our event complained that his dog got into them the day after our performance.  Oh well, maybe he’ll get some food for us on the third night of our show this year, and I won’t have to fend for myself again.  

Edited by Wolc123

24 minutes ago, Wolc123 said:

That’s BS, I don’t think it’s dead.  I’ve been to most of the lower 48 and there’s definitely none where I’d rather live.  No other state has scenery better than that in the Adirondacks, and none has better summer weather.  Smallmouth are my favorite fish and nowhere else has remotely close to what we have there.  NY is also a meat deer hunter’s paradise (I could give two craps about the trophy hunting).

I’ll even take fall and winter conditions in NY over that in any other state.  Only March really sucks in NY, so I’m pretty thankful to be on a work assignment in Southern CA right now.   

Those high taxes and dysfunctional politics are a very small price to pay for the awesome wonders we have in NY.  Were it not for those, everybody and their brother would want to live here and we’d suffer from the same overcrowding and traffic congestion that plague those “go to” states .

What we are looking at in this thread is the same seasonal, vitamin D deficient doldrums and wining that comes up every spring.  Get some sun folks.  

p.s,

I’m ok with my taxes. Our town assessor is an old friend of mine and one of the most honest guys I’ve ever run into.  Here we are watching the sheep at our Church’s Living Nativity last Christmas:

IMG_3808.thumb.jpeg.f80ff9fe6840648ab81d3472feeef73d.jpegIt rained like heck that evening and I brought along a camping shelter to keep us, the sheep, and the “weary travelers” dry.  I roasted a big old St Lawrence River Northern Pike over our campfire that night and my assessor buddy liked it.  
IMG_3029.thumb.jpeg.b843fd2c0697dd78d4d1fdf2482defa5.jpegNormally, I let those go because I don’t like dealing with the y-bones.  I butchered this one because it swallowed my last 1/4 oz bucktail jig and I wanted it back.  The y-bones were big enough to pick out pretty easy, but the farmer who hosted our event complained that his dog got into them the day after our performance.  Oh well, maybe he’ll get some food for us on the third night of our show this year, and I won’t have to fend for myself again.  

If NY is so fantastic, explain why NY has the most population loss? Families leaving at a staggering rate.

I agree, it's a beautiful state with lots of outdoor opportunities, but other states offer fantastic outdoor opportunities with much less BS and taxes. 

1 hour ago, Wolc123 said:

p.s,

The numbers don’t lie pal, even with the huge numbers of illegals coming in the state lost over 150,000 in population last year. Unfortunately for the state it’s not the welfare recipients that are leaving it’s the upper middle class that have been paying the bills that are leaving. 

Edit to add.

In not too long your “small price to pay” will become too much for you to pay and you’ll also be packing up. The only other option is a political swing but most of us fleeing are also the ones voting against the stupidity so every day the odds is a political swing go down.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

51 minutes ago, Wolc123 said:

p.s,

Talk about outta touch with reality. Yikes.

Dysfunctional gov and higher taxes isn’t a small price to pay bud. Between state income tax and property tax alone for me is $20k per yr. Not chump change by any stretch and with that tax bill I also get a dysfunctional government.  
What am I getting for the price of taxes I pay per yr? 
Keep voting blue though.