IGNORED

Technological Advances

Lawdwaz

Is the main way we communicated when I started hunting.Saved up my $ as a kid to buy a new set for when I was out with the guys,pretty sure they are still up at the property sitting in a cabinet!

Edited by Doebuck1234

Oh ya, had the earlier ones that were good up to a mile or two, but realistically worked within a couple hundred yards. Then up graded to the 15 mile and eventually the 30 mile ones. 

My brother and I bought a pair of Motorolas that you picked the frequency crystal when ordering.  Same ones county road crews use.  Those worked great, but were expensive. 

Wife and  i were using them on the lease we just lost , no cell service .  We bought the ones that  have the ear piece and little  speaker you talk into. Worked awesome for being quiet on stand . 

IMG_3247.jpeg

The most fun we had with those was when I was in High School our FFA would go to the national farm machinery show in Louisville. We’d sit in the bleachers of the tractor pull arena and trash talk other kids we didn’t know who had them. One guy would be running the radio while the rest of the eagle eyed scouts would be trying to figure out who the other group was. 

Edited by Splitear

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Oh ya, had the earlier ones that were good up to a mile or two, but realistically worked within a couple hundred yards. Then up graded to the 15 mile and eventually the 30 mile ones. 

My brother and I bought a pair of Motorolas that you picked the frequency crystal when ordering.  Same ones county road crews use.  Those worked great, but were expensive. 

We started with big (relatively) Maxon radios.   I think they were  couple hundred bucks each.   Within 5 years or so those cheap Motorola radios came into being.    Good enough for all the driving we did for sure.   

Seems like it was the late 80s when the Motorolas burst onto the scene. We used them at our (then) PA deer camp. Found out the hard way that when your neighbors use theirs on “roam”, they know what all the other camps plan for drives. So we learned our own code and if we said to push the “orchard” that meant the swamp and so on. Eventually we all moved to cell phones. You will never have 100% of the radio or cell users able to reach each other wherever I have hunted. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Sure we had similar ones back in the day . Now I thought back then you couldn’t use electronic devices to aid in hunting ? I could be wrong but I thought that was a law . Any other old guys recall that ? Or is my memory off .

17 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Sure we had similar ones back in the day . Now I thought back then you couldn’t use electronic devices to aid in hunting ? I could be wrong but I thought that was a law . Any other old guys recall that ? Or is my memory off .

We didn’t use them to hunt, just converse.   

Not those exact ones, but we did use hand held CB's and walkie talkies from time to time. Always got irritated when they said 5 mile transmission and 1/2 mile was max on a good day. Now, I stepped up my game and use GMRS. 

Edited by DirtTime

I don't feed trolls.

all we had back in the day. Sucked when there was a buck nearby and you forgot you had it on haha

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12