IGNORED

Travel baseball

Redneck4Life

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

How was your boys rookie year..Mount St Vincent's right?

Last summer was the worst/least enjoyable for my kid since the competition/games didn't matter. "Team of mercenaries" is how we described them. But all it takes is one good outing at the right time. He was pretty resigned to just finding a school without baseball and playing club until he had a good outing (2 innings/40 pitches...that's all you get) and an extra invite to the Hobart showcase($250 a pop for those). 
He's most excited to play his HS season  and will continue to pitch with his organization (Crush Baseball) this summer on a college commit team. 

Yes CMSV, they only played a few games this fall , first game as a freshman went very well, he started and  pitched 2 innings, few strikeouts gave up no runs, 2nd game he played in he closed out the game , pitched 1 inning, 2 strikeouts, no hits, gave up no runs. 

20221001_113409.jpg

My 2 cents, no matter what, make it all about having fun at this age, make it dad and son time and enjoy it, let him know you are proud of him no matter the outcome on the field, hug him when he wins and hug him tighter when he loses, teach him how to deal with failure and disappointment, use the experiences in baseball to teach him life lessons, because in the end very few make it to the show but every young baseball player will have to deal with life and the monkey wrenches that come with it. If he pitches, protect his arm, proper warm ups and cool downs, arm care is vital, keep pitch count in line with Little League recommendations, and make sure he gets proper rest between outings. Educate yourself, just because a person has the title of coach, does not mean he knows more or has your sons best interest at heart. At this age innings played are more important then wins and losses. You will get more personal development renting a tunnel and spending a half hour tossing balls to your son then you will from a 2 hour team practice. But most of all realize that what he wants most out of the sport is to make you proud. Enjoy the journey it goes fast. 

Edited by JimC1965

2 hours ago, JimC1965 said:

My 2 cents, no matter what, make it all about having fun at this age, make it dad and son time and enjoy it, let him know you are proud of him no matter the outcome on the field, hug him when he wins and hug him tighter when he loses, teach him how to deal with failure and disappointment, use the experiences in baseball to teach him life lessons, because in the end very few make it to the show but every young baseball player will have to deal with life and the monkey wrenches that come with it. If he pitches, protect his arm, proper warm ups and cool downs, arm care is vital, keep pitch count in line with Little League recommendations, and make sure he gets proper rest between outings. Educate yourself, just because a person has the title of coach, does not mean he knows more or has your sons best interest at heart. At this age innings played are more important then wins and losses. You will get more personal development renting a tunnel and spending a half hour tossing balls to your son then you will from a 2 hour team practice. But most of all realize that what he wants most out of the sport is to make you proud. Enjoy the journey it goes fast. 

Well said and 1000% facts!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Shameless plug for my boy making a charge at Player of the Week for his no hitter(1 pitch away from being perfect-Hit by pitch in the 4th). Vote early and often for Chris Lockwood (Bronxville)

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high-school/lohud-baseball/2023/05/08/baseball-vote-now-for-lohud-player-of-the-week-may-1-7/70195555007/

fields finally dried. got a double header in Saturday. Between the 3 we have baseball every night/day besides Wednesday and Sunday, with Monday's double booked! haha.

IMG_3269.jpeg.49cb7fd9d0279f47f267e81ee3590ba8.jpeg

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

58 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Shameless plug for my boy making a charge at Player of the Week for his no hitter(1 pitch away from being perfect-Hit by pitch in the 4th). Vote early and often for Chris Lockwood (Bronxville)

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high-school/lohud-baseball/2023/05/08/baseball-vote-now-for-lohud-player-of-the-week-may-1-7/70195555007/

next stop, Uconn!

On 5/8/2023 at 3:03 PM, 2BuckBizCT said:

Blaze Orange!

i don't know the whole story, but our league used to have mlb logos. So if you were on the mets you had a blue shirt with the blue logo. Last year they just got these generic shirts with the team names and no logos. All the hats are now gray. It's not really a big deal but my kids were kinda bummed. Above is the Mets vs the Orioles haha. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

• 2 weeks later...

Well my son’s a freshman this yr and just finished up his first JV season. 
He was a line drive single machine early in the season, then was struggling to wait on pitches and was swinging way to early and kept grounding out. Finished strong towards the end and eventually had a couple strong hits that almost made it to the 350 fence. He turns 15 tomorrow.

He ended up leading most stats including most hits and most walks. How he didn’t get called up to varsity for sectionals is beyond me. 
Anyways travel ball starts soon with a bunch of single game weekends thru most of June and July is tournaments every weekend.

Opposite feeling than Zag...my kid closed out his HS baseball career yesterday and he couldn't be more upset. He loves this team and coaches - many teammates he has played T-ball  with since they were 6, 4 of them he has played travel with since were 8. A lot of tears yesterday for that group. His SS is headed to Rochester to play which is cool they are in the same league as Hobart.  

Second year in a row his team was bumped from the playoffs in the semis as the #1 seed. It was also his first loss of the season on the mound. Too many walks and too many balls found holes or dropped in front of outfielders. He wasn't as sharp as he's been nor was his defense behind him.

Sucks to have real "American Past-time" baseball end. Now it's onto the college commit team-this seems like it will be fun-real baseball, no travel, all legit players). And then "the grind" begins of being a college athlete. I can only hope he finds players in college similar to the brotherhood he cemented through HS- that will make the upcoming grind worth it!

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

Alriight, I know there are couple WNY SB guys on here past or present -  Williamsville East or Webster Thomas tomorrow? Both look very good from what I can see.  

I can only say WT has traditionally been a solid program. Our school is in a diff division so we don't face them. Our vs team is still going and playing in Batavia tomorrow.