IGNORED

Stocking the new pond..

I have 7 ponds permitted,  design in building keeps weeds down as well as proper stocking  crayfish eat a lot of growth and provide food for a lot of fish.  I have never seen a use for dye or Grass carp in a properly built and stocked  pond. 

I'll admit it.... I totally want to just dump in a bucket of fish.  Lol.  

No worries I'm sure I won't.  This is way down the list of things I plan to ever do.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'll admit it.... I totally want to just dump in a bucket of fish.  Lol.  

No worries I'm sure I won't.  This is way down the list of things I plan to ever do.  

someone did that with northern pike in the late 80's or early 90's in Lake Gilead Reservoir (Putnam County). All of a sudden it was the only local body of water with pike. The local fishing derby across all the reservoirs even had to add Pike as a contest species. It lasted a few years and i think the biggest caught was high 30 inches and 19lbs. then they were all gone. 

32 minutes ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

someone did that with northern pike in the late 80's or early 90's in Lake Gilead Reservoir (Putnam County). All of a sudden it was the only local body of water with pike. The local fishing derby across all the reservoirs even had to add Pike as a contest species. It lasted a few years and i think the biggest caught was high 30 inches and 19lbs. then they were all gone. 

I was just thinking about 100 brown trout.  They wouldn't reproduce but might have them in there for a few years and see how they did.  But too much money and logistics 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

18 hours ago, G-man said:

I have 7 ponds permitted,  design in building keeps weeds down as well as proper stocking  crayfish eat a lot of growth and provide food for a lot of fish.  I have never seen a use for dye or Grass carp in a properly built and stocked  pond. 

We build a wetland bench around 75%+ of our ponds and plant the bench in native wetland plants as we are allowing the pond to fill. Beyond those benches is much deeper water. The only invasive plants our clients have to watch for is cattails, native but highly invasive. We never plant those, but their seeds are sometimes dropped into a pond by any of a variety of birds. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

We build a wetland bench around 75%+ of our ponds and plant the bench in native wetland plants as we are allowing the pond to fill. Beyond those benches is much deeper water. The only invasive plants our clients have to watch for is cattails, native but highly invasive. We never plant those, but their seeds are sometimes dropped into a pond by any of a variety of birds. 

I keep a small patch of cattail in my big  pond good for the bullfrog,  but it pretty much stays there as water is to  deep for it to spread much.  Keep  sides  in check by pulling  or herbicide to keep in spot on bank,   my  Lillys are s same way, kept  in check by depth and  pull or spray when they want to spread along shore. Been in since 96 and have spread maybe 3 ft wider than area I planted them in.