IGNORED

Whats smokin!!

mowin

I smoked some beef snack sticks yesterday. Unfortunately they turned out pretty dry. Now I am trying the remainders in the dehydrator to see how they turn out. 

I made them from 80/20 ground beef and a seasoning packet from Cabela's. First time making snack sticks so I'll chalk this up to a learning experience. 

11 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I smoked some beef snack sticks yesterday. Unfortunately they turned out pretty dry. Now I am trying the remainders in the dehydrator to see how they turn out. 

I made them from 80/20 ground beef and a seasoning packet from Cabela's. First time making snack sticks so I'll chalk this up to a learning experience. 

Snack sticks are tricky, you only need to reach 155° I use a smoke tube to get good smoke without a lot of heat. If the smoker gets too hot all the fat renders out and they get dry. Keep practicing you'll get it. 

Just now, Chef said:

Brisket is coasting along. Been on 7.5 hours and is already at 190. Should be done by noon and have a nice 4-5 hour rest in my cooler.

ribs just went on and should finish about 30 min or so before guests arrive 

IMG_3414.jpeg

Brisket looks great.  You going by temp or probe test? 

Usually the point will reach probe trender before the flat.

Are you slicing the point or making burnt ends?  I loved burnt ends. 

Just now, mowin said:

Brisket looks great.  You going by temp or probe test? 

Usually the point will reach probe trender before the flat.

Are you slicing the point or making burnt ends?  I loved burnt ends. 

I'm doing a combo of both. I figure I'll use 198 degrees as the benchmark to start checking with a probe and take it off from there when I'm comfortable.

today I will be slicing just because of the amount of people I'm having over I figure it's easier to control portions by slice thickness 

this is my first brisket on this smoker. I should have ordered one from my job but I decided to go to restaurant depot. The quality on superior angus is fine but I could have gotten better at work 

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I'm doing a combo of both. I figure I'll use 198 degrees as the benchmark to start checking with a probe and take it off from there when I'm comfortable.

today I will be slicing just because of the amount of people I'm having over I figure it's easier to control portions by slice thickness 

this is my first brisket on this smoker. I should have ordered one from my job but I decided to go to restaurant depot. The quality on superior angus is fine but I could have gotten better at work 

I've always had a tough time slicing the point if I don't separate it from the flat when it probes tender. They tend to pull apart.  Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer slices over pulled. 

I wish I had a source close by for some quality briskets.  Although, the Sam's club briskets are not too bad for the price. 

Good luck with everything.  

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I will for sure separate before slicing 

also if you ever need briskets let me know I can get prime and high choice angus at wholesale cost 

Do you ship, or would we meet up halfway?