IGNORED

Battery Chainsaws

2 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

The real game in this is they tend to lose money on the tool because then intend to screw you on the battery where all the profit is.  And the battery is the consumable.  

But it's rebuildable if you're the least bit handy and you find out that many of these battery packs, come apart with a security type screw for which the bit is easy to obtain.  Then you'll see the pack is made of cells group in a pattern and joined by tabs of metal spot welded to battery.  Often, it's only 1 or 2 of these cells that are dead, and you can replace them.

YouTube it for your pack.

Most common cell I've found is the 18650 which you can obtain from your other dead packs.  Or I often found this cell in dead laptop batteries from the work pile that I could cannibalize.   

I see a lot of value in a light saw for overhead work that I can depend on for safe on/off.  I have three saws of different sizes that are used by job, but the electric seems a good addition.  I would expect the 20 volts saw to be of limited duration per charge.  

Huey, I have rebuilt a lot on my batteries, That is actually how I ended up with so many of them. I would take the old ones that they discarded at work and rebuild them. But I also see some of the advantages of the new lithium batteries. Most OEM's make an adapter to use the new batt's on old tools which is nice.

The driving force behind the upgrade is for some of the outdoor tools weed eaters, blowers, saws that are not available with the older batt's. 

Has anyone tried a Ryobi ?  I picked up one of their “0ne plus” 18 volt drills last spring, because they didn’t have any of the 20 volt Dewalt drills, that were advertised on special at Home Depot.  

My buddy, who is a builder, swears by them.  He likes them mostly because it costs him less to replace them, when his guys loose them.  He really likes the air compressor tool.  

I see that they make several chain saws for them.  The only electric chain saw that I have any experience with, is a 14” corded Poulan.  That works ok in and around my barns, but it wouldn’t do me much good in the woods or out in the fields (unless I brought my generator along, which I have done a time or two).  

Edited by Wolc123

34 minutes ago, Wolc123 said:

Has anyone tried a Ryobi ?  I picked up one of their “0ne plus” 18 volt drills last spring, because they didn’t have any of the 20 volt Dewalt drills, that were advertised on special at Home Depot.  

My buddy, who is a builder, swears by them.  He likes them mostly because it costs him less to replace them, when his guys loose them.  He really likes the air compressor tool.  

I see that they make several chain saws for them.  The only electric chain saw that I have any experience with, is a 14” corded Poulan.  That works ok in and around my barns, but it wouldn’t do me much good in the woods or out in the fields (unless I brought my generator along, which I have done a time or two).  

I had a couple Ryobi yrs ago, probably 15+ and they sucked, but I've been hearing better things about them.  Hesitant to try them again, but the price point and one battery type for all tools is appealing. 

How much use have you given the drill? Pros and cons! 

Edited by mowin

27 minutes ago, mowin said:

I had a couple Ryobi yrs ago, probably 15+ and they sucked, but I've been hearing better things about them.  Hesitant to try them again, but the price point and one battery type for all tools is appealing. 

How much use have you given the drill? Pros and cons! 

The main reason I got it, was for installing overhead light fixtures and other electrical work, in my pole barn.  It worked very good for that, and everything else I that have used it for.  The 1/2 inch keyless chuck works great and it has lots of torque.  Battery life has been good.  

The torque adjustment on it works very good.  Last weekend, I used it to assemble a bookshelf for my daughter, that came from Amazon in a box, with about 100 pieces and a large bag full of screws.  It saved me lots of time putting that together and I didn’t strip out any of the screws, thanks to that sensitive torque adjustment.  

I also bought a Ryobi sawzall, but I have not used that much.  I’ll probably get a small chainsaw and an air compressor.  09B8F4D5-D1DB-4C4C-B580-B7DDF60E3A93.jpeg.d56fdc479f36767948d8a813fdcf5e55.jpeg

My buddy since kindergarten is a tool and fastener dealer for contractors.  One of his lines is Dewalt.  I can tell you the pro stuff I buy from him is not the same stuff you find in the big box stores.  He keeps disassembled tools around to prove it.   I know Makita does the same thing for a professional line.   

I can ask him where the chainsaw fit in line up as far as construction and 20-volt vs 40-volt units.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Bionic said:

@The Back 40  curious if you ended up buying that Dewalt pictured in the first post?  I will probably buy that specific Dewalt this week.  Curious of your opinion if so, thanks.  

What ever you do, don't buy the EGO brand.  I can't keep the chain on the thing. CS has been good in responding and trying to help, but I hate the thing. 

On 8/27/2023 at 11:42 AM, Bionic said:

@The Back 40  curious if you ended up buying that Dewalt pictured in the first post?  I will probably buy that specific Dewalt this week.  Curious of your opinion if so, thanks.  

@Bionic I have not pulled the trigger on the new Dewalt battery system yet. A few big projects popped up this summer and that got pushed to the back burner but I still intend on making the switch to the 20V Dewalt. I have had an opportunity to try the 20V weed trimmer and a larger Dewalt Flex volt (60V ) chainsaw that my buddy has I was impressed with power and quality. I still plan on getting the 20V chainsaw when I make the switch.

funny this popped up. My 10" craftsman stripped some gears over the weekend. It was my fault trying to cut a felled tree that was too big for it, but I didn't have the big gas with me. I'm going to see if I can find the gear for cheap. Intead of rebuying the craftsman I'd buy a little bigger/more powerful. It's great but I need a little more power for some jobs. The bummer though is that I have 2 4ah and another 2ah batteries for it and they match my drill and cordless so I don't want yet another battery and charger lol.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

2 hours ago, The Back 40 said:

I really wanted the battery saw to keep on the quad for clearing small stuff on the trails and limbing out trees here and there. Climbing with an 18" bar and pull starting a gas saw while up in a tree gets old quick.

image000001.jpg.16c0a0b066d4e86440e92e1773ceba53.jpg

that's exactly what I use my electric for. Clamps to the back of my UTV and perfect for medium to small things. Light weight. Instant start and stop, less noise and not nearly as much stink. Super easy to trim shooting lanes while in the tree as well.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

For climbing, I find that a top handle gas saw is the way to go.  I'm sure electric would work , but I like the top handle/one hand design.  I have hauled a 60 cc saw with an 18" bar up in the tree with me and it sure is a chore. 

I'd be more interested in a good electric pole saw, but haven't found one that was worth a darn.  I'm glad to hear that people are trying and liking electric saws.  I also don't know anyone (other than me) that hasn't switched to an electric ice auger.  If we have good ice on Champlain this winter,  I will probably make the switch. 

I recently received a 14” Milwaukee 18v top handle from Milwaukee for evaluation (I’m doing some consumer testing for them for review and feedback). I already have the 16” typical conventional handle 18v model. Running both 8.0 and 12.0 batteries. I actually like the balance better with the 8.0 battery, any 18v Milwaukee will work. Does have a flip style lock on top handle that has to be gripped with a slight forward motion, but is very intuitive to use IMO. 

I process about 5 1/2 full cords a year, about 50% or the trees  I drop. The rest is typically already down but often not limbed. I can see myself using this to cut up tops. I’m under no illusion it will replace a tuned up 390 Stihl for logs but I can also throw this in the locked cab of the truck, no stink and no gas can to carry and I already have a fair amount of Milwaukee 18v and 12v product after getting out of 20v Dewalt.

I ended up buying the 16” Milwaukee and while I have only cut up small stuff with it I’m pretty impressed with its power. 

It’s pretty weird and pretty nice not to have the noise of the gas saw while cutting. No constant chatter of the gas saw while you’re dragging limbs out of the way.