IGNORED

Battery Chainsaws

17 hours ago, Stubborn1vt said:

For climbing, I find that a top handle gas saw is the way to go.  I'm sure electric would work , but I like the top handle/one hand design.  I have hauled a 60 cc saw with an 18" bar up in the tree with me and it sure is a chore. 

I'd be more interested in a good electric pole saw, but haven't found one that was worth a darn.  I'm glad to hear that people are trying and liking electric saws.  I also don't know anyone (other than me) that hasn't switched to an electric ice auger.  If we have good ice on Champlain this winter,  I will probably make the switch. 

For heavy work my electric probably isn't a good option. I'd imagine the more expensive offerings from sthil are probably solid. But my craftsman electric pole saw does a great job. So much lighter than the gas powered string trimmer attachment and I think a foot longer. Anything that isn't huge comes down pretty quick and iirc it was like $100 or less. I figured if it sucked I wasn't out a ton of money. But it's going on 6 or so years and still gets the job done for small jobs. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I recently received a 14” Milwaukee 18v top handle from Milwaukee for evaluation (I’m doing some consumer testing for them for review and feedback). I already have the 16” typical conventional handle 18v model. Running both 8.0 and 12.0 batteries. I actually like the balance better with the 8.0 battery, any 18v Milwaukee will work. Does have a flip style lock on top handle that has to be gripped with a slight forward motion, but is very intuitive to use IMO. 

I process about 5 1/2 full cords a year, about 50% or the trees  I drop. The rest is typically already down but often not limbed. I can see myself using this to cut up tops. I’m under no illusion it will replace a tuned up 390 Stihl for logs but I can also throw this in the locked cab of the truck, no stink and no gas can to carry and I already have a fair amount of Milwaukee 18v and 12v product after getting out of 20v Dewalt.

they are for sure not a replacement, but a nice niche filler like you said. I also just keep mine handy because you never know when you'll come across a blocked path after a storm and they're light and easy to whip out and use and toss back in the quad/utv/truck without the stink. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12