IGNORED

Pictures on this site load slowwwwww

Spysar

20 hours ago, nywaw said:

@Splitear can you verify Chrome is fully updated on your desktop?  Also you can try to clear out your Chrome cache and see if that helps.  It's possible you have a giant cached of files that the browser is going through first to try and find a match locally on your machine before downloading from the CDN.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

also chrome is a memory hog and that looks like an old laptop. If you have old equipment or slow internet, try not to have so many tabs open.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

also chrome is a memory hog and that looks like an old laptop. If you have old equipment or slow internet, try not to have so many tabs open.

Yeah, if you're on an old computer it can certainly be the computer itself.  You'll notice when you open Chrome and look at Task Manager, you'll have a bunch of Chrome.exe tasks running (believe there is a set of initial ones and then 1 per tab opened).  It's a great browser but it does use a fair amount of resources.

On 2/12/2023 at 8:32 AM, Spysar said:

Videos are really out of the question. Won' t load at all. Too bad I suck at computers and phones.

I really don't have any issues, but I'd like to help if you're a tech novice. What kind of internet speeds do you have? How old is your computer and what browser are you using? How many antivirus programs do you have running? I once found my dad (68) had 3 antivirus programs with various add-on's running. THis will destroy your speeds and if you're on windows 10 or 11 all you really need is windows defender. Furthermore if you have a tone of addins (check up top on your browser for flashy and fancy icons) that'll slow you down.

You can download cc cleaner. A good tool that will cleanup a lot of junk that might be slowing down your browsing speed. Honestly this website is a very low resource intensive site. It shouldn't be an issue for even an older tablet to load rather quickly.

Just now, Spysar said:

Why only this site?

That is indeed odd if it's only this site, assuming the other sites you view all have the same number of pictures, videos, etc.  That would make me wonder if it's a network routing issue instead.  Let me try to test something, will need a bit but I'll post back.

i'm not IT expert, but sounds like antivirus or worse malware/virus is scanning each pic at a time. Do you visit other forums that have lots of pictures? 

1 hour ago, Spysar said:

If there's 5 pics in a row, the one I'm on will load. Then I scroll down to the next pic, and then it will load. One by one they load if I'm scrolled on the pic. 

Ah OK, so that behavior is called "lazy loading", which is how the site is configured (and should be).  However I would find it odd if other sites weren't using it.  With that said, the load times of images as you scroll should be very fast as they are retrieved from a CDN initially (which has them cached there on the CDN server for fast access/return).  In fact, your computer's browser caches images that have already been visited so it should be even faster (i.e. you shouldn't be seeing this slow load for any images you've already loaded recently by viewing a page).

Do these other forums have a lot of pictures as well?  If not, we'd be comparing apples to oranges.  If they are using a lot of pictures, can you post an example link, maybe I can try to figure out how you're impacted here but not there.

Does this delay happen here for the same images on a topic you've already viewed, i.e. if you refresh the same page that has images you've already viewed/loaded?

I'd also try a different browser just to rule out the one you are using.  From what I can tell you are using Edge.  I'd recommend trying Chrome and see how it behaves.

https://www.google.com/chrome/

Also, here is some info on what lazy loading is if you're interested:

What is lazy loading?

Lazy loading is a technique for waiting to load certain parts of a webpage — especially images — until they are needed. Instead of loading everything all at once, known as "eager" loading, the browser does not request certain resources until the user interacts in such a way that the resources are needed. When implemented properly, lazy loading can speed up page load times.

This type of loading is called "lazy" because it encourages a web browser to procrastinate. When displaying a lazy loading webpage, a browser essentially says, "I will wait to load these images until I really need to." When displaying an eager loading webpage, a browser takes the opposite attitude: "I will take care of everything right away!" While procrastination sometimes carries negative connotations in the real world, in this case it is often more efficient.

For instance, a blog post might have an image at the top of the page and a diagram near the bottom. Someone reading the blog post might not reach the bottom of the text for several minutes, so the browser waits to load the diagram until the reader scrolls to that section. This way, the page loads more quickly at first, because the browser is loading one image instead of two.

How does lazy loading images work?

User navigation typically is what triggers lazy loading images. In particular, when a user scrolls down on a page, that tells the browser to load the images that appear there.

When a webpage loads, the part that a user sees is called "above the fold," while the part that the user does not see yet is called "below the fold."* Images that are above the fold need to load right away, or else the user experience will be impacted. But the user does not see images below the fold until they scroll down. Thus, images below the fold can use lazy loading.

*What does "fold" mean? "Above the fold" and "below the fold" originated from newspaper layouts. Newspapers typically come folded in half horizontally, and the front half — the area above the fold — is what the reader sees first. When the term is applied to a web layout, the "fold" is the bottom of the user's screen.

I cleaned out some stuff , I think it was all trash. Pics are a little better. I'm in a pretty rural area. My line in is still copper. It's not the best but I can stream TV just fine with it. And use internet.

Yes, other sites have pics. 

And thanks. Don't go crazy trying to figure it out, I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right on my end.