IGNORED

How does this happen? 11 yr old dies in hunting accident.

mowin

8 hours ago, mowin said:

Even if it's legal to unload in a vehicle in that state, the number 1 rule of gun safety is pointing in a safe direction.  

Now hears where I'm torn...  Do you prosecute the guy or not. 

What's everyone's thoughts on that subject? 

Not enough details in the story. It certainly needs to be thoroughly and competently investigated. The range of causes could be anywhere from purely accidental to total recklessness.
And then follow what the law says to do not follow the social justice warriors of the court of public opinion.

^ I agree with this.

If there was a direct line between the muzzle and the kid, then this is manslaughter or negligent homicide or whatever charge fits. Even in the case of a freak accident - gun pointed to the ground, goes off, bullet hits rock and rickochets off to hit someone - I think you can still make a negligence charge stick. 

Lots of guys stuff their pockets or packs with all sorts of calls, rattle bags, sprays,  even sandwiches, i tote none of that , I do have this though . The truck of course has way more in it .

The bag can be emptied of a lot of the lesser boo boo type dressings and add a chest seal too . I think I’ll work on mine in the off season .

Tourniquet , chest seal , and combat gauze could easily fit in a cargo type pocket and weight next to nothing .

6D70F87B-2DF8-488F-9C8F-F279ABFDB87D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

I keep a trauma pack in my UTV as well. Added a chest seal kit to it.

Between broadheads , knives and bullets  bad things can happen , the odds may be very low , but I hunt with friends and family ….

I personally know  three people who were shot while hunting , one Turkey hunter, one pheasant, and one deer hunter , this spans back to the ‘70s though .

On 11/25/2022 at 11:15 AM, mowin said:

Even if it's legal to unload in a vehicle in that state, the number 1 rule of gun safety is pointing in a safe direction.  

Now hears where I'm torn...  Do you prosecute the guy or not. 

What's everyone's thoughts on that subject? 

Well this is extremely tragic and I'm sure he's extremely regretful and sad of what happened, he still violated the number one rule of gun safety. Never ever ever point your muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy. Always be aware of where your muzzle is pointing at all times. And treat every gun as if it's loaded, in this case his was, but this is very laxed gun safety to say the least; it's negligent.  And I'm not in law, but this sounds like involuntary manslaughter and negligence to me.

Palma non sine pulvere 

I find this hard to call a hunting accident.. its is a gun handling accident.  Tragic all the same  but was not engaged in the act of hunting. Could of happend after a day of target practice.

Either way a simple safety rule of keeping muzzle pointed in safe direction was not followed.