IGNORED

Good lord Memphis sucks.

mowin

So we're in Memphis for the US powerlifting competition, as my step daughter was invited to complete. 

I can't believe how bad this place is.  Driving on the interstate between east Memphis and downtown is white knuckle and I can't believe how many close calls we have had since Wednesday. 

We happened to get in on Wednesday, a day before we could get into our AB&B, so we booked a room in East Memphis. Room was $185 a night for wife and I.  Now this places parking lot only a 100 yards or so from newer high end hotels..  

Lobby was nice.. little dated. Walking down the hall to the elevator, red flags started popping.  The elevator had either shit or chocolate smeared on the wall. Wasn't about to do a Cheech and Chong skit and taste it. 

Room has blood splatters on the bathroom wall. We promptly left and bitched until we got a full refund and went just down the road and spent $265 for the night.  My step daughter and her friend booked a room online months ago, and when we went to pick her up, the place was gated and fenced with barbed wire on top. They were told not to walk anywhere and get a verified Uber to and from and restaurant.  

Lucky, our AB&B is in a very nice neighborhood in East Memphis and we feel safe, although we did hear several gunshots while sitting outside last night. 

Edited by mowin

15 minutes ago, Caveman said:

If you think Memphis is bad. Cross the Arkansas border to West Memphis and let me know what you think.

It's still Memphis..  it's all a cesspool with a few "decent" areas tossed in. 

Have to go to the airport around 5pm to pick up my MIL and wife's cousin.  Really looking forward to that. 

Edited by mowin

Any area of a population of 10k+ is a pass for me.  If I go on vacation it's to get away from people not go to more.  

Sorry to hear it sucks there.  Hopefully you're  on your way to a better spot. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Any area of a population of 10k+ is a pass for me.  If I go on vacation it's to get away from people not go to more.  

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

Same here. I try to avoid ANY city if at all possible!!!

We flew into Nashville and headed east to Johnson City.  We drove through several areas that we might consider retiring to, and some were absolutely gorgeous with rolling farmland. Others very nice, but tight up to a vertical wall of mountain.  

Went to pigeon forge and Gatlinburg for a couple days. Lots of fun, but very tourists minded.  Everything there was to snag a dollar out of your pocket. 

As mentioned, the only reason we are in Memphis, is because of my stepdaughter.  Otherwise, we would have stayed in the eastern part of the state which was fantastic. 

lived in oxford for 3 years. It's an hour south of Memphis across the border. Memphis has a decent night life if you know where to avoid. Can't say I ever had any driving issues there and I flew in and out of there a ton.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

lived in oxford for 3 years. It's an hour south of Memphis across the border. Memphis has a decent night life if you know where to avoid. Can't say I ever had any driving issues there and I flew in and out of there a ton.

I-40 and I-240 in Memphis is not fun. People are doing 70-80 and cutting people off with inches to spare.  The amount of car parts alongside the road proves that.  

Interesting thought, we drove the entire state from Mt city to Memphis (east to west). Only seen one deer, and that was dead on I-40 East of Knoxville. 

Some of the cleanest interstates I've ever seen until getting close to Memphis. 

Edited by mowin

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Exactly how I feel. I don't get how people even go to a campground,I have more privacy at my house and a better bed. I used to go visit some friends in the city every once in a while but haven't done that in 10 years I think. No desire.

9 hours ago, Caveman said:

If you think Memphis is bad. Cross the Arkansas border to West Memphis and let me know what you think.

I was just about to write that.  lol

Scuzzy truck stop might have been the nicest thing I saw. 

45 minutes ago, Otto said:

If you have time, check out the Bass Pro there.  It’s shaped like a pyramid and the restaurant at the top is very very good. (So I was told, I never got to eat there, but 2 friends said is was). 

I can actually see it from the convention center.  If we have time, it's on the list.