IGNORED

Good lord Memphis sucks.

mowin

3 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Business has brought me to many areas in the south including the Carolinas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee and more. Both rural and city. Those trips convinced me that it might cost more to be retired up here in NY but here's where I'm staying. Let's just say like anything else you get what you pay for. 

Go to the eastern side of the state, and your in a different world.  It's very nice. 

Memphis is a well known sh!thole . 

I avoid cities as well , and my nephew in Brentwood never goes into Nashville .

Where we winter I don’t use my car for days at a time , walk to the beach and St Armand’s circle which has all the restaurants and shops one could need . When we go over to Sarasota we hop on a free trolly .

it takes time to find the right area and then learn it .

Our friends love their home in Lake Tellico  Tenn ,but it’s a suburban environment which they like , you may not idk .

One issue I’d have is home prices there went way up over the last few years , while ours here is basically a starter home we stayed in and we’d need a couple hundred thousand more to purchase one there .

Also it took years to get Mrs Nomad to understand not to book hotels like that ! 

38 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Memphis is a well known sh!thole . 

I avoid cities as well , and my nephew in Brentwood never goes into Nashville .

Where we winter I don’t use my car for days at a time , walk to the beach and St Armand’s circle which has all the restaurants and shops one could need . When we go over to Sarasota we hop on a free trolly .

it takes time to find the right area and then learn it .

Our friends love their home in Lake Tellico  Tenn ,but it’s a suburban environment which they like , you may not idk .

One issue I’d have is home prices there went way up over the last few years , while ours here is basically a starter home we stayed in and we’d need a couple hundred thousand more to purchase one there .

Also it took years to get Mrs Nomad to understand not to book hotels like that ! 

We are not frequent travelers. Last time we flew was in 2012 to key largo.  

We want something in the outskirts of a smaller city in a rural area.  Farm land and rolling hills.  Nashville was nice, never felt like it was a toilet, but way to big for our liking.  Knoxville was better as was Johnson City.  Greenville was a really nice area. Might look more into and around there. 

Sitting outside tonight listening to the sounds. I almost thought I was close to several races tracks rolled into one. Muscle cars, rice rockets, and some Italian supercars mixed in. Oh yeah, the police sirens.  

Yep, automatic gunfire in the distance.  

On 9/16/2023 at 5:58 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Business has brought me to many areas in the south including the Carolinas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee and more. Both rural and city. Those trips convinced me that it might cost more to be retired up here in NY but here's where I'm staying. Let's just say like anything else you get what you pay for. 

Same thing with me.  The only way I put up with any other state (in the lower 48 anyhow) is if is a work trip on somebody else’s dime or if I am on vacation.  

Hell would need to freeze over, before I’d live in one of those God-forsaken places.  Most of them are way too hot for me now.  Guess what folks, that’s only going to get worse.  It could be a thousand years or more before the earth gets into another cooling trend.  Even the southern tier of NY is a little too hot for me right now in the summer months.

Traffic and overcrowding are other issues that plague many of those other states.  Lots of those searching for greener pastures are not going to like what they find.   

Edited by Wolc123

1 hour ago, Wolc123 said:

Same thing with me.  The only way I put up with any other state (in the lower 48 anyhow) is if is a work trip on somebody else’s dime or if I am on vacation.  

Hell would need to freeze over, before I’d live in one of those God-forsaken places.  Most of them are way too hot for me now.  Guess what folks, that’s only going to get worse.  It could be a thousand years or more before the earth gets into another cooling trend.  Even the southern tier of NY is a little too hot for me right now in the summer months.

Traffic and overcrowding are other issues that plague many of those other states.  Lots of those searching for greener pastures are not going to like what they find.   

Well, I disagree 100%. Every state has bad areas.  NY sure has plenty of them that are just as bad as Memphis if not worse.  

The eastern part of Tennessee is much different than the western side.  Just like Northern NY is much different than the southern part. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Well, I disagree 100%. Every state has bad areas.  NY sure has plenty of them that are just as bad as Memphis if not worse.  

The eastern part of Tennessee is much different than the western side.  Just like Northern NY is much different than the southern part. 

Most folks have more tolerance for the heat than I do.  Like I said, those places in the south are ok for me to visit, in the 2 or 3 cool weather months, but there is no way in hell that I could survive living there outside of those. 

By contrast, the cold does not bother me all.  Not much feels better, when it’s below zero outside and the wind is blowing hard (during those 3 otv3 cold months) than to sit in front of a warm wood fire in the house. 

Its even better to almost always be able to go outside and perform some hard manual labor, without excessive sweating, during those other 9 months of the year.   I like doing that outside even better, when the wind lets up, in those 2-3 cold months.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:51 AM, Nomad said:

One issue I’d have is home prices there went way up over the last few years

From all the people from the North East coming with bags of money from selling and leaving.  I know more than a few. 

Edited by cas

7 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I toured Nashville  by foot for an entire day back in 2004 when,I flew down to Tennessee out of Stewart for some Spring Turkey Hunting.

Very Clean City Nashville is. Must be much different  from Memphis.  

2004 Nashville is way different than 2024 Nashville. They might as well change the name to “Nash- Vegas”. Just a bunch of drunken bachelorette parties and suburban rednecks. 

On 9/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, mowin said:

I-40 and I-240 in Memphis is not fun. People are doing 70-80 and cutting people off with inches to spare.  The amount of car parts alongside the road proves that.  

Interesting thought, we drove the entire state from Mt city to Memphis (east to west). Only seen one deer, and that was dead on I-40 East of Knoxville. 

Some of the cleanest interstates I've ever seen until getting close to Memphis. 

The season down there is quite different. The rut is during Christmas. So not seeing a lot of dead deer isn't surprising. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12