IGNORED

Good lord Memphis sucks.

mowin

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

The season down there is quite different. The rut is during Christmas. So not seeing a lot of dead deer isn't surprising. 

Didn't see a live one at all.

I was surprised to see the amount of beans and corn between Nashville and Memphis.  

56 minutes ago, mowin said:

Didn't see a live one at all.

I was surprised to see the amount of beans and corn between Nashville and Memphis.  

yeah very little movement in that heat at this time of year. I bowhunted all october and i would say it's the equivalent of hunting July in NY. But don't be mistaken, their numbers and racks are pretty good. The meat yield not so much. My 4.5 year old 9 point was like 120 pounds lol.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Just now, Belo said:

yeah very little movement in that heat at this time of year. I bowhunted all october and i would say it's the equivalent of hunting July in NY. But don't be mistaken, their numbers and racks are pretty good. The meat yield not so much. My 4.5 year old 9 point was like 120 pounds lol.

Went on a combo deer hog hunt in south Carolina several years ago.  They opened the cooler to show us the recent kills.  One was a nice 150" ten. The guy got offended when we mentioned how tiny the body was, lol. 

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

Went on a combo deer hog hunt in south Carolina several years ago.  They opened the cooler to show us the recent kills.  One was a nice 150" ten. The guy got offended when we mentioned how tiny the body was, lol. 

there's an argument to be made that for antler hunters it's nice. Much easier drag for the same antler size haha. But yeah my best year there was a doe and that buck and we were hurting for vension by summer. Thankfully it was just my wife and 1.5 kids at the time. We'd never survive on that now with 3 growing boys haha.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Or Albany?

Or any city or town, anywhere these days.   Unfortunately that's just the way it is now.   :sad:

yes, but not as common in mid-sized cities in the south. Memphis is a big, big city so not fair to compare to Rochester. But visit Chattanooga for example (same state), which I imagine without doing any research is similar in size and you I doubt you'll see the released without bond and murdering nonsense you see in NY.

32 minutes ago, Belo said:

yes, but not as common in mid-sized cities in the south. Memphis is a big, big city so not fair to compare to Rochester. But visit Chattanooga for example (same state), which I imagine without doing any research is similar in size and you I doubt you'll see the released without bond and murdering nonsense you see in NY.

Chattanooga is a cool town. A lot of "different" folks, but people living free and happy lives, and that's reflected in the city. It's clean, friendly and "strange", overall a nice city. Not bad for what was "the dirtiest city in America" 50 years ago. 

Cities tend to reflect the pendulum swings that society experiences, but more strongly and amplified through crowd reverb. I prefer more of a slow roll - we get there eventually, but without all the shucking and jiving. 

Work unfortunately takes me to many of our major population centers, and although none of them hold any particular appeal, several places had more of an upside prior to COVID. Now, it seems that they all suffer from a particular brand of fatalism - mainly in youths - that could give a crap about people or consequences. 

Our vacations this year were in Placencia, Belize and Rainbow Lake, ADK. Neither of which are population centers, lol. And we couldn't have been happier. Next year will be Roatan, Honduras and two weeks (!!) back at Rainbow in late September. Kayak fishing for bonefish or smallmouth really turns my crank; hordes of googans does not.

Edited by Keith Nehrke

18 hours ago, mowin said:

One thing I noticed is probably 75+% of the houses here are brick.  

From what I've read, the bricks are made from the red clay here, and the cost is about the same as other siding since it's made locally. 

also termites are a thing. You wont be able to sell your house unless you can produce at least 3 years of annual treatment. I think it ran us like $100. So yeah the house has wood in it, but they try to avoid wood if they can.

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

also termites are a thing. You wont be able to sell your house unless you can produce at least 3 years of annual treatment. I think it ran us like $100. So yeah the house has wood in it, but they try to avoid wood if they can.

Makes sense.. 

Just one more point I'd like to make. And this is not directed at anyone here at all, just a general statement.

I travel a lot for work. All over the country and many parts of the world. I've learned to do my best not to make a snap judgment on a place based off of one trip. I've also learned that many stereotypes and perceptions tend to bare fruit... but it's often never what the media portrays. I've been to cali a few times recently. There are indeed areas where homelessness is rampant,  immigrants the majority, but also generally the people are nice and didn't have any real bad experiences. I've lived in the south. There are things I didn't like and things I loved, but also an understanding I'd never have had if I didn't live there and had only visited.

Overseas is the most eye opening. You know what they're bitching about over there? All the same shit we are here. I'm no Biden fan. Far, far from it. But many of their issues are the same as ours, and these were in Scotland, Germany, Poland, England and Ireland just this past year. Different countries, different cultures and many of the same issues and of course some of their own unique ones.

Point is, get out and travel if you can and not just your winter trip to Florida, but really travel (if you can afford it). And if you can't, maybe wait to formulate your opinions on a place or culture if you haven't even left your small upstate ny town.

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Point is, get out and travel if you can and not just your winter trip to Florida, but really travel (if you can afford it). And if you can't, maybe wait to formulate your opinions on a place or culture if you haven't even left your small upstate ny town.

Well said.

Going to rural “3rd world” places is even more of an eye opener on how much of the planets population gets by.