IGNORED

Modified / Un-Modified Crossbow Permit

GreeneHunter

I have no idea about the numbers of hunters in New York but I'm sure everyone is aware that the numbers are declining ! With an aging population " Everywhere " the older generation is still hunting and this might keep them in the woods a little longer - hopefully ! This Crossbow (without mentioning any Political BS ) Un Modified / Modified Permit is probably a Good Thing , we'll wait and see ! It may be a turning point in putting the Crossbow permanently in all of Bow Season .

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I have no idea about the numbers of hunters in New York but I'm sure everyone is aware that the numbers are declining ! 

factually incorrect. Disheartening that there are guys agreeing with this post who know this isn't true. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/26368.html

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

factually incorrect. Disheartening that there are guys agreeing with this post who know this isn't true. 

as one of the guys agreeing with it you're referring - I honestly had no idea about the # of license sales.    But liked the statement of keeping our older hunters out in the field. It will be good to know some guys can get out there and enjoy the bow season. My former father in law who can no longer draw the bow will be thankful to be able to hunt the warmer and early season for sure. 

So I def see fewer vehicles and hear fewer shots on the opening of gun season though.  Do they lump the license sales all into one?  Am curious if the popularity of the bow season now is the reason for the jump in sales?  Most guys I know buy all the tags now including muzzle, bow and gun.  is it the same guy that counts for 3 sales?  I know years ago my Dad and uncles just did gun only.   Interesting as my eyes and ears tell me there are less hunters out there, but the numbers dont reflect it.   

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

as one of the guys agreeing with it you're referring - I honestly had no idea about the # of license sales.    But liked the statement of keeping our older hunters out in the field. It will be good to know some guys can get out there and enjoy the bow season. My former father in law who can no longer draw the bow will be thankful to be able to hunt the warmer and early season for sure. 

So I def see fewer vehicles and hear fewer shots on the opening of gun season though.  Do they lump the license sales all into one?  Am curious if the popularity of the bow season now is the reason for the jump in sales?  Most guys I know buy all the tags now including muzzle, bow and gun.  is it the same guy that counts for 3 sales?  I know years ago my Dad and uncles just did gun only.   Interesting as my eyes and ears tell me there are less hunters out there, but the numbers dont reflect it.   

as you know we agree on getting older and disabled people in the woods. I believe those numbers are just one particular hunter regardless of how many tags he or she buys. If it's just regular season you get counted, if it's bow, reg and mz you get counted once too. I think the lack of shooting on opening day is just a change in hunting style. As a kid we loved that the orange army was out there hungover stumbling around and pushing deer. Now most guys sit in a tree because that has higher probability. Also the saturday opener I think actually lowered the ground and pound deer camp group numbers. Now it's "go sit in a tree or blind". 

guys saying they need a crossbow because their cholesterol is high or they're taking ED medication is downright hilarious though. 

Edited by Belo

Just now, Belo said:

as you know we agree on getting older and disabled people in the woods. I believe those numbers are just one particular hunter regardless of how many tags he or she buys. If it's just regular season you get counted, if it's bow, reg and mz you get counted once too.

guys saying they need a crossbow because their cholesterol is high or they're taking ED medication is downright hilarious though. 

we used to have the sportsmen license and I wonder if they counted that as one license where now you have to buy each of them separately.  If the DEC is counting them all as separate license sales this makes the number a lot higher.  Dunno if ive ever heard how they tally these.  But it would make more sense in my eyes as I see so many less hunters out.  Hmm youve got me stumped here. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

1 hour ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

what is "alcove"?

The " Alcove Reservoir " and surrounding area is Albany's water source and there is not Trespassing or Hunting allowed . In the last few years the Albany Water District saw that the Deer Population was over browsing the area and decided to issue 100 DMAP's for the area based on a Lottery for Residents of the towns of Westerlo and Coeymans . According to reports from last year 20 Deer were taken under the program ! 

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

we used to have the sportsmen license and I wonder if they counted that as one license where now you have to buy each of them separately.  If the DEC is counting them all as separate license sales this makes the number a lot higher.  Dunno if ive ever heard how they tally these.  But it would make more sense in my eyes as I see so many less hunters out.  Hmm youve got me stumped here. 

it only goes back to 06, so it's all apples to apples on that chart.

1 minute ago, GreeneHunter said:

The " Alcove Reservoir " and surrounding area is Albany's water source and there is not Trespassing or Hunting allowed . In the last few years the Albany Water District saw that the Deer Population was over browsing the area and decided to issue 100 DMAP's for the area based on a Lottery for Residents of the towns of Westerlo and Coeymans . According to reports from last year 20 Deer were taken under the program ! 

Nice. Congrats and Good Luck! I hunt something similar in CT- Aquarion Water land, which is 7,000 acres spread throughout CT and bow only by lottery.

Ok ,Dr needs an office visit ,so earliest was Oct. 2 . I’m actually looking forward to bow for the first time in a few years ,there’s nothing like sitting in a stand hoping that if a big buck comes along you’ll somehow find the strength to pull your bow back . The last few years felt like a frustrating waste of time . 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:28 PM, DirtTime said:

I was referring to the clowns who will take advantage of this, not guys like you grampy. 

How is choosing to hunt with a crossbow taking advantage of something? Odd mindset. Let hunters use a crossbow thru out archery season without making them jump thru hoops.

8 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

How is choosing to hunt with a crossbow taking advantage of something? Odd mindset. Let hunters use a crossbow thru out archery season without making them jump thru hoops.

his point was simply that perfectly able bodied MEN, will use this as a loophole to take the easy way in. Just because you don't agree with the rules doesn't invalidate his point. 2 things can be true. 

On 9/21/2023 at 9:40 AM, Belo said:

You’re only looking at the last 14 years. Go back another 20 or more and you will see hunter numbers cratered. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

14 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

You’re only looking at the last 14 years. Go back another 20 or more and you will see hunter numbers cratered. 

that's all the data that's on the site. We know that the heydays of hunting for just about all species was the 90's. No doubt. But 14 years of data is still a long time. Guys on here that are in their 60's now were in their 40's. Guys that are in their 40's were in their 20's. 

Point is, despite the average hunter's age rising, many new hunters are joining the sport. What we're seeing (as some members can attest to) is that it's not the typical "pass it down" hunter, but many new demographics including women and urban hunters. A new group of hunters who are interested in field to fork and DIY. 

Should we sit back and put our feet up? Of course not. But even without the covid spike, our numbers are relatively flat, which means as old hunters leave, we're replacing them with new hunters at the same rate. 

Some would say we don't necessarily want a ton of new hunters (not my opinion, but it's floated out there). Those same guys would say it's just as, if not more important that non-hunters still support hunters more than anything, because if we're all honest that is our biggest risk. The day that the general public doesn't support the 10% of the population that hunts we all lose. Right now over 70% of amerian's support hunting and we know that 70% don't hunt. Those are the folks we need to keep on our radar. 

For what it's worth, I got my doctor signature this morning. And will send the copy to DEC today to be able to use a crossbow throughout the entire bow season. I say this with bittersweet feelings. As My love for shooting, and hunting with my bow will never go away. But due to certain heath issues, I am being forced to give it up. But with a crossbow in hand, I can still participate in one of my lifelong passions.........bowhunting! That means the world to me. No matter what is in my hand, as I wait for that perfect shot.

I hope to still carry my compound bow on occasions when I still feel a little frisky? I would so love to get at least one more deer with it! But knowing I now have a choice, even on the not so great days is a relief to me.

Yeah........I took the easy way out as some would say. But all during my 66 years, I've never much listened to the outside noise. I prefer the quiet from within.