IGNORED

The Plot Begins II

ZAG

15 minutes ago, ZAG said:

Well it doesn’t look like dozer will make it in till summer probably. So at this point I plan on frost seeding an annual clover this weekend. 
Im just looking for a temp plot to give them food and get them use to it. Once dozer work is done mid summer then plant for fall. 
Should I be looking to add anything else as a temp plot?

in Roc we have a few nights of sub 30 and days over 50. Great time to get it in quick!

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

29 minutes ago, ZAG said:

Well it doesn’t look like dozer will make it in till summer probably. So at this point I plan on frost seeding an annual clover this weekend. 
Im just looking for a temp plot to give them food and get them use to it. Once dozer work is done mid summer then plant for fall. 
Should I be looking to add anything else as a temp plot?

Even just keeping it somewhat cut and new growth will attract deer.  I did a temp plot on one of my spots too and just did a throw and grow mix, then in the fall will do a bit more.  Clover will certainly work and it will add nitrogen. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Wormser said:

We got our stumps out, graded. limed and with the dry weather I got the disc through it.  With any luck I'll have seed in the ground tomorrow.  Just doing some clover now and probably disc that in and something else in the fall.  It was a good weather year to get this work done.  It's been a fun project.

20230415_103208.jpg.e8dfb59738a980104fe604bc911800d6.jpg

Looks good.  

20 minutes ago, Wormser said:

We got our stumps out, graded. limed and with the dry weather I got the disc through it.  With any luck I'll have seed in the ground tomorrow.  Just doing some clover now and probably disc that in and something else in the fall.  It was a good weather year to get this work done.  It's been a fun project.

20230415_103208.jpg.e8dfb59738a980104fe604bc911800d6.jpg

Can't wait to see it all green!  Awesome project. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

• 1 month later...

Well no planting after all. Plan all along was for the forester to come finish with the dozer and root rake it.

Well he sent a guy over with a skid steer and imo it didn’t really do very well at cleaning it up to plant. I’m in the woods now and I’ll post some pics later so Incan get ur opinions as well. 
I texted him a video and said I expected way more. He dozed our last plot he did for us. He said he’d come take a look.

If the ruts and roots aren't too bad maybe drag it with tines and a tractor or disk it.  Then plant clover in it to get roots established and will probably look great.  Or even wait til it dries and run a harrow over it a bunch.  

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Wormser said:

Any updates?  Mine is coming along.  Much thicker than I expected for the first year.  The boys have found it.  Going to soon plant some Great 8 in a section I didn't plant in the spring.

20230722_103744.jpg

Yes sir!! I am at the land now. Got a sweet update for everyone when I get home!!

So our guy came back yesterday with the dozer to clean it up a lot more!

So my wife and I hoped in the suburban and headed down to get a look. Along the way we grabbed some pizza and wings and had a tailgate dinner date!

Anyways I had the walk back and as I was getting close I could see two deer towards the other end. So I didn’t get a great look at the excavator work as I didn’t wanna spook em. Ended up being 2 bucks and the one’s pretty darn nice looking!! Super excited to see a nice buck like this already checking it out!

Plan on getting something planted over the next couple weeks. Can’t wait to see green!!

Also props to my new iPhone for getting this nice of a pic for being near the other end of the plot.

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg