IGNORED

Belo's Trapping Adventures

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to you and feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

As the season for land animals is coming to an end, the raccoons are are typically denned up in this cold and their fur gets yellow this time of year.  The fox and coyotes are starting (continuing) to get rubbed (i.e., fur not good).  But with that said, it’s beaver time!!  And beavers are the only critters worth any money this year.  Unfortunately there are not many country buyers and the ones I know don’t want them in the green (not skinned)…beavers are a bit challenging to skin and a bit more challenging to flesh.

Again, please contact me with any questions!!  Not sure where you are located (I’m just east of Buffalo).

Dino

Good luck and look forward to following. I got my trapping license in NY, but never used it. I can't commit to driving to and from the land to check daily. I'm shocked your taxidermist turned down work on the gun yote. I shot a red fox with bow that wasn't huge, so I didn't mount it. But, I got the hide tanned and i hang it from the door. I also love predator skulls, I kept a bunch over the years and have them inside clear plastic boxes (mt. lion, lynx, bobcat, yote, foxes, etc.).

Good luck did a bit in the 70s muskrats,and if one got lucky a mink . I knew a family of trappers, one guy made enough over Christmas break to pay for his next semester at St. John Fisher, those days are long over ,I guess it’s just a hobbie now .

We trapped the swampy area of MCC, and any drainage behind shopping centers , as well as the Bay, Browncroft blvd by Ellison park to name a few, different era nobody cared .

It got competitive at some spots,we’d mark the runways prior to the season for faster trap setting on OD.

A good coon back then could bring almost $40 iirc   I wouldn’t waste my time skinning one today , had a dead coon return to life in the back seat of the car lol ,always bring an axe .

Never trapped on land , seems warmer and drier though .GL. 

I'm gone not even an hour and a fox shows up. Now I'm not really after fox, but because I couldn't check my pan tension I don't know if they'll spring or not. They never attempt to dig which kinda worried me.

The funniest part was the parade of deer that night. I'm not sure if they were eating my marshmellows or smelling the fox pee but it was funny.

Edited by Belo

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Saturday, Sunday and Monday are pretty quiet. Checking traps on Sunday was rough as it was f'n cold. I'm also realizing I messed up with the 2 sets in wet spots. We got a lot of rain and both holes at these spots were full of mud and water and even worse perhaps, the cold was moving in and now I'm thinking freezing might be an issue even with peat moss. I rebait all 3 traps anyhow and add fish oil for the first time to the coon traps. Monday the first yote shows up on camera but doesn't take the bait. Fox shows up a few more times as well. 

Edited by Belo

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Nice. what did it weigh? male or female? i like the videos on instagram where guys have to release bobcats they caught by accident. You would probably prefer snaring like they do in canada. When you get there, the animal is dead already.

Good job ! 

Walking onto my friends basement in  the ‘70s ( dad and three boys all trapped a lot ! ) first would be those cardboard beer trays full of Rats bodes, then dozens of hides inside out on stretchers hung from the basement rafters . Actually first was the smell . 

We told other kids that the bodies were sold to Cambells soup , “ you didn’t think that was actually beef did you “ ?

Thanks for bringing back those memories of my youth . 
My trapping friend from my youth and a later one who trapped , once got in a heated argument over how to skin a rat , along with Conibear  vs leg hold . Ha ha 

53 minutes ago, Belo said:

We had a death in the family and a service this morning. I was fully intending to attend a work call, check some emails and get ready for the service when my cam starts lighting up around 8. Holy shit! I got one! Just as I'm getting a little dismayed, but not upset. I have enough time to quickly get over there, dispatch and head home to shower, but not enough to rebed the trap and that was ok. 

I'm just going to speak honestly here and yall can think whatever you want about Belo... I know you have opinions anyhow haha. I did not enjoy this part. I'm not sure anyone does. I never thought I would enjoy it or that it wouldn't affect me... but an animal that's trapped is a tough thing. It's tough for me anyhow. I had no issue pulling the trigger on that yote 2 years ago, but this was different somehow. It's not going to stop me trapping, but it did reinforce my need to do something with the animals themselves. 

I have a walkup video, but I'm not sure I should upload it or not. Not dispatching it or anything... but let me know if you'd like me post it. 

IMG_4574.JPG.cb10ad144bd0ad1972be1b304c3b7e8d.JPGIMG_4570.thumb.jpeg.29ca05211f4956a85f10d7df28fed773.jpegI now see why guys wrap their ID tags, mine is destroyed 

IMG_4571.thumb.jpeg.d407e45a6b15b44179b8ba8a89a4eb6d.jpeg

IMG_4569.thumb.jpeg.f79de4b498fa506562087398629845a0.jpeg

IMG_4573.thumb.jpeg.7ea70e593ef65767d6c6270d2e2ac8cf.jpeg 

So tonight I'll take my first stab at skinning, and if I have time I'll flesh it. Thankfully my wire stretchers just came in the mail yesterday too! I'll post later on how that goes.

Nice job.  That didn't take long.. except for all the prep and research.