IGNORED

Belo's Trapping Adventures

17 hours ago, Mattypotpie8s said:

Don’t forget scissors!

putting a hold on refreshing sets with another 2 to 3 inches expected today, although animal activities on cameras have picked up quite a bit. Supposed to warm up and even rain the next few days. Not sure if I refresh pre or post rain. Will see what the work schedule allows for. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Belo said:

putting a hold on refreshing sets with another 2 to 3 inches expected today, although animal activities on cameras have picked up quite a bit. Supposed to warm up and even rain the next few days. Not sure if I refresh pre or post rain. Will see what the work schedule allows for. 

more snow? here's your answer:

image.png.3a60210de1febe80b014dd7edfb4ef67.png

nice dog came by a set around 5am, but the whole set is buried in snow. Shame on me for just letting them sit like that I guess. Going today, but we have rain on the way so who knows at this point lol.

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

nice dog came by a set around 5am, but the whole set is buried in snow. Shame on me for just letting them sit like that I guess. Going today, but we have rain on the way so who knows at this point lol.

He has probably been by there before and isn't interested in your offering. At least not this time. When you re-lure use something different. Skunky lure or beaver castor based.

Coyotes can smell fine even through feet of snow.

I see you are in Webster, IMO one of the best lure makers in the US lives and sells lures in Rose NY, great guy and I'll bet if you had time to talk with him you would learn a whole lot about lure presentation and use.  https://www.nightowllures.com/

Just now, riverrat said:

He has probably been by there before and isn't interested in your offering. At least not this time. When you re-lure use something different. Skunky lure or beaver castor based.

Coyotes can smell fine even through feet of snow.

I see you are in Webster, IMO one of the best lure makers in the US lives and sells lures in Rose NY, great guy and I'll bet if you had time to talk with him you would learn a whole lot about lure presentation and use.  https://www.nightowllures.com/

When I check today I'm going to dig the traps up and obviously check his tracks to see if maybe my set was frozen in. But I appreciate the advice, right now I only have the one hiawatha bait. I'll check that link out, thank you. 

Question for you trapping gurus.. 

If you end up catching a yote or other critter, is that set now compromised to the point your better off pulling that set and start over? Curious if the commotion, blood from shooting would be a issue. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

If you end up catching a yote or other critter, is that set now compromised to the point your better off pulling that set and start over? Curious if the commotion, blood from shooting would be a issue. 

Certainly not an issue. More of a attraction from the smell from the critter being there. 

When trapping canine's it's best to make a few different sets in that area as the other canine's will check that area every time by. They're more likely to work the set with a change-up in lure and presentation.

1 hour ago, mowin said:

If you end up catching a yote or other critter, is that set now compromised to the point your better off pulling that set and start over? Curious if the commotion, blood from shooting would be an issue. 

Reset but will put another fresh set in .Most locations I always do have at least 2 sets in even 3-4.I like doubles,triple catches .

13 minutes ago, NYRuthunter said:

Reset but will put another fresh set in .Most locations I always do have at least 2 sets in even 3-4.I like doubles,triple catches .

So how far apart are each set/trap? 

Edited by mowin

13 hours ago, NYRuthunter said:

one can only aspire too :)

well just rebaited 5 of 6. Man I see why people aren't a fan of rain. The whole place is a mud pit. I brought my tension tester and for each set but 1 I was way past 4 pound to spring it they were so loaded with mud. 2 sets had good evidence that something (i'm thinking fox) took the bait and didn't spring the trap. Hopefully a dry couple days yields a catch or 2. I'll be traveling next week so I have to pull them sunday. 

On 1/24/2024 at 11:07 AM, NYRuthunter said:

Yes,Nightowl is top for sure.

are you using lures like glands or baits or both? So far I've only used red fox pee on a post nearby and the bait, no lures. Not sure how they work yet need to do some research.