IGNORED

Belo's Trapping Adventures

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Belo!! I got my bait in about 10 days ago, right before the first snowstorm. I held off on setting traps. Now, the ground is as solid as a rock and I can’t imagine trying to make a trap bed! Plus, no coyote tracks or pics in the past couple of weeks.

I needed to scratch the itch, so I went out this evening and called, but no luck…

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Saturday, Sunday and Monday are pretty quiet. Checking traps on Sunday was rough as it was f'n cold. I'm also realizing I messed up with the 2 sets in wet spots. We got a lot of rain and both holes at these spots were full of mud and water and even worse perhaps, the cold was moving in and now I'm thinking freezing might be an issue even with peat moss. I rebait all 3 traps anyhow and add fish oil for the first time to the coon traps. Monday the first yote shows up on camera but doesn't take the bait. Fox shows up a few more times as well. 

IMG_0010.JPG.2ab5c7168d5dc3765cb76a744db32f72.JPG

Regarding your wet/muddy trapping locations, have you heard of Mark Zagger's Pipe Dream set? He's from the Syracuse area and made these sets for the wet weather we get in the fall and winter. The pipe also keeps the scent from being covered up by a few inches of snow. I don't believe this even uses waxed dirt and the set itself is easy. Interesting concept! I plan to try this myself.

IMG_9782.jpeg

Edited by Cabin Fever

Good luck on the new venture. Enjoy both your trappings and failures (I mean that in a sincere way lol). I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how you learn through the failures being this is new and all to you and you seem completely immersed in it... Was always interested in how people solve their problems and find multiple solutions to one problem.  Looking forward to following this thread.

Palma non sine pulvere 

13 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Regarding your wet/muddy trapping locations, have you heard of Mark Zagger's Pipe Dream set? He's from the Syracuse area and made these sets for the wet weather we get in the fall and winter. The pipe also keeps the scent from being covered up by a few inches of snow. I don't believe this even uses waxed dirt and the set itself is easy. Interesting concept! I plan to try this myself.

IMG_9782.jpeg

I use to work with Mark Zagger, It was amazing how many coyotes he would get in a season but he worked his a$$ off for them. He would come down to the shop/warehouse and take all of the short sections of PVC we had left over from job sites for his sets.

image.png.0af0b97bcb9d2c6799482f17f2af4387.png

5 minutes ago, The Back 40 said:

I use to work with Mark Zagger, It was amazing how many coyotes he would get in a season but he worked his a$$ off for them. He would come down to the shop/warehouse and take all of the short sections of PVC we had left over from job sites for his sets.

image.png.0af0b97bcb9d2c6799482f17f2af4387.png

That’s a metric-shit ton of work for a hero pic.   Lol

Impressive on multiple levels.   

16 hours ago, riverrat said:

Good job Belo! You're a fast learner.  I bet you're pumped.

To dispatch I shoot them in the lungs, it's a lot less messy when skinning. Plus you can save the skull. They expire fast.

thanks for the advice. I went with the head shot for quickness, but it was indeed messy. I thought a .22 to the lungs might take a bit? Maybe not?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

15 hours ago, HeavyUser said:

Nice you see you got one quickly.

With all this crappy weather in southern NY I have become completely unmotivated to start trapping. 

it indeed sucks right now. I wish I started earlier, but with most things I'm excited for next year.

I’ll echo the 22cal to the lungs for dispatch (I use subsonic as sometimes the bullet doesn’t exit on the other side).

Just curious how you made out skinning and fleshing the coyote…they are very difficult to skin…I almost always skin them while they are still warm…a bit easier and I’ll take all the help I can get!  People who target lots of coyote use a skinning machine.

Again, please feel to reach out if I can help…looks like lots of other experienced folks on here as well!!

Good Luck!

7 minutes ago, Dinorocks said:

I’ll echo the 22cal to the lungs for dispatch (I use subsonic as sometimes the bullet doesn’t exit on the other side).

Just curious how you made out skinning and fleshing the coyote…they are very difficult to skin…I almost always skin them while they are still warm…a bit easier and I’ll take all the help I can get!  People who target lots of coyote use a skinning machine.

Again, please feel to reach out if I can help…looks like lots of other experienced folks on here as well!!

Good Luck!

yeah yesterday ended up being a tough day all around. It's obviously really cold, we didn't get home from services until around 2, I had to get some stuff done at work and then the kids to basketball. The wife's sick unfortunately so I'm either trying it out tonight or tomorrow, but as you mentioned she's frozen solid and as i've learned with deer, warmer is easier. I'm not excited about what's ahead haha.