IGNORED

Home Butchering Pics Thread

GroanALot

12 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I have a shed but the temps still affect it big time. I do think my doe will be thawed tonight as well. Got the shoulders done already...feels like the home stretch now. 

What do you guys do with the rib meat? I usually don't bother with that,but am open to suggestions,always looking to learn and use more of the animal.

For the ribs if its your only deer of the year in november you better scrape them…if its october then you got lucky dogs (if you have dogs,if not you should have dogs)

ive yet to saw mine off and grill…maybe some day

Edited by GroanALot

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I tried them once, slow roasted then grilled with a blueberry bbq sauce. 
They were ok but a touch "waxy"

weren't worth doing it again from my opinion 

I am not a fan of deer fat. That silky feel is no good imo. Had some fresh broth once before I ladled off the fat. Won't do that again...

And my doggie is pretty happy about all those other scraps she gets...

Just now, fletchny11 said:

I much prefer hunting to butchering but my guy was already loaded with deer. I am way to slow to ever be a butcher lol. Back to the woods tomorrow!

80908D19-23C2-49F5-A5BE-80089DEC7A97.jpeg

81300FC0-BB6E-46E7-A40E-5C7E4F65C54B.jpeg

Did you go to marsh mill?  I dropped mine off there the other day there was a line and he only took the 5 vehicles there already and blocked the driveway. I got lucky.  

With everything I've got going on I just figured I would take it there.  If I get one this weekend I will just plan to do it myself 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Did you go to marsh mill?  I dropped mine off there the other day there was a line and he only took the 5 vehicles there already and blocked the driveway. I got lucky.  

With everything I've got going on I just figured I would take it there.  If I get one this weekend I will just plan to do it myself 

Yea I was picking up my buck and dropping of my doe which when they called me said they could take. When I got there they said they couldn't take more. A new owner bought it last year and I don't think it can uphold how good it was before. Too bad really the old owners were fantastic. He is short meat cutters as well this year. 

1 minute ago, fletchny11 said:

Yea I was picking up my buck and dropping of my doe which when they called me said they could take. When I got there they said they couldn't take more. A new owner bought it last year and I don't think it can uphold how good it was before. Too bad really the old owners were fantastic. He is short meat cutters as well this year. 

I knew Ed was done but I thought the guy that took it over was there before.  Ed is def a big loss. Great guy. Guess like most places they can't get help either. Mine was deer #264 and in the past at this time I wanna say it seemed more like I would be #464.  

I should be picking mine up soon. How was your buck done?  They still do a good job? 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

On 11/22/2022 at 1:08 PM, BowmanMike said:

I have a shed but the temps still affect it big time. I do think my doe will be thawed tonight as well. Got the shoulders done already...feels like the home stretch now. 

What do you guys do with the rib meat? I usually don't bother with that,but am open to suggestions,always looking to learn and use more of the animal.

I've smoked deer ribs a handful of times and if conditions are right they can be very good. The biggest issue is obviously the fat. I hate deer fat. So it's like the opposite of pork ribs, only smoke very lean venison ribs. If there's pockets of tallowy fat, it's not worth the trouble. Connective tissue is not an issue because it will break down from hours of low temperature cooking. This is the one circumstance where a big rutted up buck is actually better eating than a fat doe because they're so run down from the rut and very lean. If the deer does have a lot of fat I just scrape all I can off the bones, toss the fat, and the rest is good for grind. I smoke them around 220 for maybe 2 or 3 hours then wrap in foil with some butter and brown sugar for a few hours more. However long it takes to get them tender. Sauce them and back on the grill to caramelize a little then enjoy. Another thing to consider is whether the deer was gut shot or if you accidentally cut the stomach during field dressing, in which case don't even bother with the ribs. You could just scrape what you can from the outside side of the ribs but leave the small bands of meat in between each of the bones. Anything inside the cavity will be tainted. Hope this helps 

22 minutes ago, JohnPlav said:

@Belo you happy with the Harbor Freight winch?  I process 5-10 deer a year and still use a worm-gear winch with 2 pulleys.  Its time to upgrade this offseason and set that one up as a backup.  What size did you go with and would you do it differently?

IMG_0824b.jpg

yeah very happy for the money. I think I have the 400 lb. winch and if I remember correctly it's like $100 or less with a coupon. I'll never hang anything heavier than 400 and its held up nice. The only tricky part is how you would mount it. It's meant to mount to a rail and slide, but if you don't have that there are 4 bolt holes in each corner that work. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

On 11/18/2022 at 1:28 PM, Bolt Action said:

Processing the doe today. Cleaned 15 lbs destined for Costanza's. Seasoned about 15 lbs to be jarred. I'm doing half the jars with salt garlic onion powder and basil. The other half with salt pepper cayenne and garlic. 15 lbs that'll be ground 50:50 with pork, and another 25 lbs that'll be ground with beef. Then it's just a matter of vacuum sealing the ground along with the roasts and straps.

IMG_20221118_120417872.jpg

How long and what temp when you jar them? Looking to do my first attempt at it with the next deer. Thanks