IGNORED

Home Butchering Pics Thread

GroanALot

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

How long and what temp when you jar them? Looking to do my first attempt at it with the next deer. Thanks

I use smaller jars with the idea that they're a good single serving size. I go with .5 pint jars for 30 minutes. Otherwise, if I move up to pint size, I'll cook for about 45 minutes. My cooker doesn't have a pressure gauge on it, so not sure what I'm working with there. 

45 minutes ago, Bolt Action said:

I use smaller jars with the idea that they're a good single serving size. I go with .5 pint jars for 30 minutes. Otherwise, if I move up to pint size, I'll cook for about 45 minutes. My cooker doesn't have a pressure gauge on it, so not sure what I'm working with there. 

My next run is going to be half pints... the pint jars are too much for a single serving.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, JohnPlav said:

@Belo you happy with the Harbor Freight winch?  I process 5-10 deer a year and still use a worm-gear winch with 2 pulleys.  Its time to upgrade this offseason and set that one up as a backup.  What size did you go with and would you do it differently?

IMG_0824b.jpg

I got the wireless remote hoist.. curse my self for not doing it sooner. 

Those that are canning. Are you doing that for freezer space reasons or just for something different? I'm trying to make better use of my orchard and getting into canning next year to keep my peaches longer and don't see why I couldn't do some venison too, but I have 2 standup chest freezers so it's not really a space issue for me.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

39 minutes ago, Belo said:

Those that are canning. Are you doing that for freezer space reasons or just for something different? I'm trying to make better use of my orchard and getting into canning next year to keep my peaches longer and don't see why I couldn't do some venison too, but I have 2 standup chest freezers so it's not really a space issue for me.

The main reason I do it is because of convience.  Ill know I need to take something out of the freezer for dinner the following night, but I always forget to do it.  Now, I just pop a jar open and heat it up.  My next batch wil be done in 1/2 pint jars.  The pints I have on hand are too much for one meal for myself.

The last batch I canned was some 2 years in the freezer that wasnt getting eaten up quick enough... Only the newer meat is in the freezer now.  It will store in the jar for a long long time too.

Ill bet you will enjoy canning, not just for venison but everything.  Im sure your boys will love helping out too.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Yes . 
Not as much for space, although that’s tight now with 25 pounds of chicken , a Turkey, packs of hotdogs 100 pounds of deer plus misc.

I monitor the freezer wirelessly, everyday especially when in Fla over the winter power outages and freezer failures concern me . Canned protects some of meat from those , we have 30 some pounds of chicken and next batch of deer meat we’ll have 27 pounds of that canned . 

Canned is 1. Very good , 2. No thawing needed, 3. Easy to give to folks , they don’t need freezer space and they won’t over cook it .

You need a pressure canner,75 minutes for pints  90 minutes for quarts  at 11pounds ,plus cleaning time , packing jars , bringing it up to pressure,and down . Start to finish easily four hours . The 90 minutes of cooking you have to watch the gauge the whole time, if it drops below 11 the clock resets .

Edited by Nomad

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

going to do a lot of peaches for sure and probably green beans. the stuff that just seems to grow so much of that we're giving it away. 

Get yourself a large pressure canner fo your low acid foods like meats and beans... you can use the same canner as a waterbath canner for tomatos and such too

This is what I have https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=161T7RU9D8SAV&keywords=presto+pressure+canner&qid=1669907965&sprefix=presto%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5

I bought the 2 piece tray set also so that you cann stack 2 layers of jars in it

2 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Get yourself a large pressure canner fo your low acid foods like meats and beans... you can use the same canner as a waterbath canner for tomatos and such too

This is what I have https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=161T7RU9D8SAV&keywords=presto+pressure+canner&qid=1669907965&sprefix=presto%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5

I bought the 2 piece tray set also so that you cann stack 2 layers of jars in it

I'm glad you recommended that one it's the exact same one I have in my cart right now along with a canning starter kit. 

4 hours ago, Belo said:

Both. I only have a single chest freezer to work with, so all the better if I can preserve some of the meat outside of it. Also I'm always looking for new ways to use the venison. I think I saw @Nomad's post a few years back and thought I'd give canning a try. In .5 pint jars, it's properly portioned, tasty, tender, has a long shelf life, convenient, etc... just another good way to use the harvest.

On 11/24/2022 at 5:27 PM, fletchny11 said:

Yea Ed and Deb are great folks. They are still helping out. Yea the work looked fine. The new owner was a cutter prior yes. I just don't  think he is committed as much as Ed and Deb were. They were closing up like before 6pm with all the deer they had. You'd think he would have been there working lol. Not closing early.

Picked up mine today and they did a nice job as usual.  Looks like they just don't have have the help to do as many and as quick.  But all was done very nice clean and good yield.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

16 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Picked up mine today and they did a nice job as usual.  Looks like they just don't have have the help to do as many and as quick.  But all was done very nice clean and good yield.  

I must have missed it. What'd you get?