IGNORED

Home Butchering Pics Thread

GroanALot

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I started doing just that for pulled venison. I absolutely love it and it helps speed up the butchering as well. Cut neck off,freeze. Done with that part.

Exactly!  I really enjoy the bone in roast.. I had my first one last year and just did another one... the flavor is awesome.  Too bad I didnt realize this years ago.

13 hours ago, PraiseDiana said:

For my experiment this year I saved the front leg shanks to try the osso bucco recipe from the Meateater cookbook.

Do you use above the knee for the shanks or below as well ??? Really not much meat below the knee , and how many can you get off one deer ? Thanks

47 minutes ago, TimberGhost said:

Do you use above the knee for the shanks or below as well ??? Really not much meat below the knee , and how many can you get off one deer ? Thanks

I saved the front leg shanks from just above the knee down. You're right it's not much meat, and a lot of connective tissue so I was very dubious about cooking then until I discovered how delicious neck roasts are due to how all the connective tissue gelatinizes and gives a fatty feel to the lean venison. Usually the shanks go in the trash, so worth a shot anyway!

1 hour ago, TimberGhost said:

I cut the joints of the leg with a knife. So i use the shanks however they separate. Usually the hind ones have a lot more meat,but if you wanted to increase the meat on the front ones you can either cut the bone above the joint or just cut some extra meat above the joint and leave it attached to the shank.

So I get 4 per deer and if it is a good size deer one back shank will feed me for a couple of days. Front shanks I usually cook two at a time.

The best thing about this is there is next to no waste when you cook them this way. All that connective tissue and even some of the ligaments just turn into gelatinous goodness. A couple of the recipes I tried are sometimes a little short on the cooking time. I would always rather cook it too long than not long enough. The key is not to cook it too hot,325 in the oven is my max.

I de-bone my shanks, above and below the knee for two reasons:

1. I make versions stick with the Jones for Shepard pie and stews 

2. easier to freeze boneless meat.

Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes (maybe creamy polenta this year) and then either freeze the leftovers in single meal portions or make Osso Bucca empanadas!

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I almost went out for another deer just to put away some shanks in late season for osso bucco. 

when i process my own i break everything down to get ground, steak, roasts, shanks, etc. so much you can do with venison cuts idk why people just grind everything. I do end up shooting deer just to make sure we have enough ground. we eat it all year in everything from lasagna, burgers, meat loaf, pasta, hamburger helper, stuffed peppers, tacos, etc.