IGNORED

Rob's hunt and fish journal

1 minute ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

i rarely ever used a ground blind. We have one that we use a few times per year that's it. Otherwise on the ground means on a rock, against a tree, etc. Being mobile is great- it allowed me to shoot my shotgun buck spot & stalk this year too. 

You need protection from CT bears too.  I’d be up a tree every time.  At least I could see it coming for me. 

5 minutes ago, Otto said:

You need protection from CT bears too.  I’d be up a tree every time.  At least I could see it coming for me. 

Esp since you can't shoot them. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

8 minutes ago, Otto said:

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Esp since you can't shoot them. 

My CT stand is 6ft off the ground. Double that on the steep side of slope. The bear came at me on the short side so face to face. I didn’t feel scared I guess because It was daylight and felt I could shoot if needed. But one morning I got this text just as I was heading into the woods. He was coming right at me. I made sure to step on a few sticks and use a headlamp. I never saw him that mornin.

AF63BE55-0171-40C4-954B-E26D4E067FB9.jpeg

Edited by 2BuckBizCT

8 minutes ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

i rarely ever used a ground blind. We have one that we use a few times per year that's it. Otherwise on the ground means on a rock, against a tree, etc. Being mobile is great- it allowed me to shoot my shotgun buck spot & stalk this year too. 

I've always felt a bit off when hunting in a ground blind. Feels like I'm not outside. If that makes sense.  Love to be able to stalk, our property is so crazy thick it's impossible. 

Tree stands are about our only choice and good sized trees are hard to come by there 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

I've always felt a bit off when hunting in a ground blind. Feels like I'm not outside. If that makes sense.  Love to be able to stalk, our property is so crazy thick it's impossible. 

Tree stands are about our only choice and good sized trees are hard to come by there 

i hear ya if it's flat. but for more and the steeper terrain, sometimes a treestand above 6-8 feet would make stand out like a sore thumb. you're better off lower and they can't see you until it's too late. 2 of my xbow bucks were under 18 yards and I never saw either until they were in the spots i shot them. too heavy/thick combined with a slope, i didn't see them until they were in my lap.

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Tripods would work.

2 minutes ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

My CT stand is 6ft off the ground. Double that on the steep side of slope. The bear came at me on the short side so face to face. I didn’t feel scared I guess because It was daylight and felt I could shoot if needed. But one morning I got this text just as I was heading into the woods. He was coming right at me. I made sure to step on a few sticks and use a headlamp. I never saw him that mornin.

AF63BE55-0171-40C4-954B-E26D4E067FB9.jpeg

I’m more worried about stepping on a skunk or a grouse. 

Post that bear video you showed me where he was near you 4 times…. That would worry me! 

Just now, Otto said:

I’m more worried about stepping on a skunk or a grouse. 

Post that bear video you showed me where he was near you 4 times…. That would worry me! 

I was hunting PA stateland for deer years ago with xbow. tons of bears. I walked in in the dark and almost stepped on a grouse. My heart might have stopped. I thought it was a bear lol

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Tripods would work.

1 minute ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

i hear ya if it's flat. but for more and the steeper terrain, sometimes a treestand above 6-8 feet would make stand out like a sore thumb. you're better off lower and they can't see you until it's too late. 2 of my xbow bucks were under 18 yards and I never saw either until they were in the spots i shot them. too heavy/thick combined with a slope, i didn't see them until they were in my lap.

Our place is flat as pancake. I don't think there is more than 24" of elevation change on the whole property.  We considered tripods but thought we'd stick out like a boner in sweatpants.  

We make it work though using trees that have cover or split branched trees and tuck the stands in. 

2 minutes ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

Sorry, Rob. Back on topic!

No worries at all.  

Yeah that bear you were talking about in your driveway was crazy stuff. Hopefully they open a season there.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish

• 2 weeks later...

Epic full day of work at hunting land.  Finished the big brush cutting project at Pine stand so we can see all the way down the trail again.  Then Corey came over for a bit and we got the turnaround in by the Xmas trail.  Went home for some lunch and came back and moved Lawn stand so it's tucked in better and looked at a spot that we can make a 17ft stand instead of a 9ft.  Beautiful day to be out all day.  And I am whipped.  And saw a bald eagle on the way home.  2nd one this week. 

PXL_20230408_131329806.jpg

PXL_20230408_141343343.jpg

PXL_20230408_184621969.jpg

PXL_20230408_190935278.jpg

PXL_20230408_193317342.jpg

PXL_20230408_184627727.MP.jpg

PXL_20230408_185753982.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Spent the whole morning at the hunting land.  Cleared brush on sides of two trails, put a gear hanger at CSS stand, made a turnaround for wheeler and brush hog in two places, changed a 9ft stand at Littlefield to a 17ft.  

PXL_20230412_122928914.jpg

PXL_20230412_131650565.jpg

PXL_20230412_125734641.jpg

PXL_20230412_155103489.jpg