IGNORED

Whats smokin!!

mowin

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Not a huge fan of the char broil electric smoker i have in terms of smoke production/temp control but love the amount of meat it holds.  The process for my smoked jalepeno cheddar sausage calls for low temps(130...no higher than 170) which doesn't make great smoke. 
Im thinking of making an off set box heating with a hot plate or charcoal and popping a hole in the side of the box connected to offset box with some tubing.  
Tell me why that won't work...but don't tell me to buy a green egg or traeger.

My master built I have to bring up to 250 for a few minutes to get it smoking , then back it down in temp and it works very well after.   But without building the high temp first it doesn't produce either.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

20 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Not a huge fan of the char broil electric smoker i have in terms of smoke production/temp control but love the amount of meat it holds.  The process for my smoked jalepeno cheddar sausage calls for low temps(130...no higher than 170) which doesn't make great smoke. 
Im thinking of making an off set box heating with a hot plate or charcoal and popping a hole in the side of the box connected to offset box with some tubing.  
Tell me why that won't work...but don't tell me to buy a green egg or traeger.

How about a mailbox mod? 

Smoke tube goes in the mailbox. Drill several 1/2 holes in the bottom for air flow.  Won't raise the temp in the cabinet. 

IMG_20150731_152847217.jpg

Edited by mowin

29 minutes ago, mowin said:

How about a mailbox mod? 

Smoke tube goes in the mailbox. Drill several 1/2 holes in the bottom for air flow.  Won't raise the temp in the cabinet. 

IMG_20150731_152847217.jpg

That's what I am thinking ... but didn't think about a mailbox! Are you building a regular fire in there or using a hot plate type element?

58 minutes ago, crappyice said:

That's what I am thinking ... but didn't think about a mailbox! Are you building a regular fire in there or using a hot plate type element?

Pellet tube smoke generator.  Fill with pellets, light and let it burn for a couple minutes, then blow the flame out.  It will smoke for several hours depending on what size you get. Seeing there is no flame, it doesn't raise the pit temp. You can see it in this pic.  I use it regularly in my pellet smoker, as they are know to have a light smoke profile. I also use it to cold smoke cheese. 

IMG_20151123_161834706.jpg

Edited by mowin

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

My dad uses a tiny wood stove set aside from his normal smoker, with chimney pipe to cool the smoke as it is piped to the hot box of the normal smoker.  He’s old school, only wood fired.  

Not fair...doesn't your dad have a designated "outhouse" type building for smoking meats? Or am I remembering that from someone else?

he's playing chess while I'm playing head or tails!

10 hours ago, Bionic said:

My dad uses a tiny wood stove set aside from his normal smoker, with chimney pipe to cool the smoke as it is piped to the hot box of the normal smoker.  He’s old school, only wood fired.  

I'd like to have a setup like your dad's.  

56 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I'm leaning towards throwing a smoker tube with pellets in my existing electric unit....allow the smoker keeps the temp consistent and let the smoker tube make the smoke.

Until I can build what Papa Bio has!!!

The closer to the heat source you put the pellet tube, the better chance you have of the pellets reigniting, or the lack of oxygen will snuff them out.