IGNORED

Live From The Water 2023 Freshwater Edition!

The_Real_TCIII

Well that's a wrap. 2023 trip to OBX  has come to a close.  Hitting the road tomorrow morning to head home.  Did a charter in the sound one morning,  and a bunch of surf fishing.  Didn't make it to a pier this time.  We caught a few sea trout and some blues on the charter along with this nice flounder. From shore I was able to get into a bunch of croaker,  mostly using cut mullet.

IMG_1931.jpg

I fished a stocked-extended stream today and the fish were looking up! Caught them on straight dries and also dry dropper. It felt good to be casting! This stream got a small hybrid brown last year and this. If they were supposed to hold over better I didnt see any evidence of it. Theyre only about 7". I did get one nice fat 15"er. A little kid borrowed my net to try and catch minnows and I had him net that fish, he went bananas lol

IMG_1188.jpeg.855cc5837ced10b07e38dcddd55c9abd.jpeg

Oh and as I started the cleaning process,  a neighbor (2012_taco) stopped by for a welfare check.    I am good and I even had cold beer on hand.   

He get saying “man there ain’t much to those fish”.  I said yea, but it’s fun and they’re tasty.   When they were all cleaned up he changed his tune, “huh, not a bad batch of feesh”.    

I’m doing them tonight in Pygmy’s recommended “House Autry” fish fry mix.  Tell me a better Mother’s Day dinner choice? :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Oh and as I started the cleaning process,  a neighbor (2012_taco) stopped by for a welfare check.    I am good and I even had cold beer on hand.   

He get saying “man there ain’t much to those fish”.  I said yea, but it’s fun and they’re tasty.   When they were all cleaned up he changed his tune, “huh, not a bad batch of feesh”.    

I’m doing them tonight in Pygmy’s recommended “House Autry” fish fry mix.  Tell me a better Mother’s Day dinner choice? :)

House of Autry is also my go to!  I use 3/4 of the seafood breading and 1/4 of their hushpuppy mix.  No egg wash needed just rinsed fish and tossed in a ziplock and then into hot oil.  

Nice batch and a beautiful day to be out.  Thinking next weekend Corey and I are taking the first boat trip out for the year.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

First trip for my boat too.......always nerve racking shake-down cruising with the old girl.     I'm sure you'll have no issues with your ride, being still pretty new.

Only trouble I had was a deader-than-a-door-nail red top Optima starting battery.  I guess it's time to replace it; date code is 09/08, yea, you read it right.   15 years old and it came with the boat from the original owner.   I don't believe I'll get another Optima, too much $$$.

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

First trip for my boat too.......always nerve racking shake-down cruising with the old girl.     I'm sure you'll have no issues with your ride, being still pretty new.

Only trouble I had was a deader-than-a-door-nail red top Optima starting battery.  I guess it's time to replace it; date code is 09/08, yea, you read it right.   15 years old and it came with the boat from the original owner.   I don't believe I'll get another Optima, too much $$$.

You definitely got your mileage out of that one.  I generally just buy a Walmart battery and it lasts me the standard 5 years.  Glad it was running well.  Yeah the first time out is always a systems check.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

We had 6 decent runs, but this was the only fish we landed.  Oddly, the first spot we stopped at, we were marking fish like crazy. They were stacked up like cordwood. Tons of bait fish too, but 2 hrs and not a single hit.  So we moved about a mile or so up river to a spot that had almost zero fish marked, and probably 2 minutes later, we had our fist hit, and that's the one I landed. In the next hr, we had probably 4 or 5 runs, but just couldn't get hooked up.  

Edited by mowin

On 5/14/2023 at 2:18 PM, Lawdwaz said:

IMG_1188.jpeg.855cc5837ced10b07e38dcddd55c9abd.jpeg

never underestimate the fried bluegill... just a lot of work for a little reward.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12